BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Porleau
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the HD radio option back in '07 when I bought my first e90 because it sounds terrible in my '11. Any way to defeat this technology? Any stations that tune in to HD immediately become muddled and dull. What make it worse is how much better it sounds right when you tune to the station before it 'switches' to HD.

· Registered
277 Posts
It's easy to turn off the HD; depending on whether you have Nav or not will determine just exactly how. I find I have HD turned off most of the time because I live in a hilly area and you can distinctly here the HD cutting in and out as you drive around; sounds like a really bad echo. I only turn on HD when I'm down in the flatlands and not around tall buildings either. Most of the time I don't bother and just leave HD turned off.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the HD radio option back in '07 when I bought my first e90 because it sounds terrible in my '11. Any way to defeat this technology? Any stations that tune in to HD immediately become muddled and dull. What make it worse is how much better it sounds right when you tune to the station before it 'switches' to HD.
No problems here.

How has your dealer responded?

Check iDrive.

· Porleau
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can this be defeated with a non-iDrive e90?

· Registered
66 Posts
I have almost no problems here in the northern Chicago burbs. Two stations that I pull in from Wisconsin now drift; but that's after I added my tint - not sure if it's coincidental or not.

If I remember correctly you can disable by "setting" the station into memory; at which point it takes you to another display where you can chose (or in your case deselect) HD if it is available for that station.

Unless you are in a distant/poor reception area you should ask the dealer to look into it first before disabling all of them.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
That's odd. Here in Los Angeles, HD reception is quite good and the sound quality is excellent.

· Registered
498 Posts
HD radio reception depend on many factors. The HD signal is transmitted on the edge of the FM carrier. The reception depend on many factors: how congested is the FM spectrum, adjacent stations, location, location and location. You can have a perfectly working receiver and experience poor experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.