BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '86 325es. I think I blew a head gasket and I decided to fix it myself. Everything has been going smoothly but I'm a little unsure on how to get the crankshaft damper off. I already took the pulley off no problem. But, I'm unsure on how to get the damper off. Do I need to remove the crankshaft nut? If I do, is the nut reverse threaded or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
The big hex nut you are looking at is the end of the crankshaft, there are six hex bolts that hold the pulley and the damper on the crank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They are two parts and the damper could be rusted on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I could have easily had the damper off like a week ago if I would have just hit it a little harder with my hammer. lol

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I could have easily had the damper off like a week ago if I would have just hit it a little harder with my hammer. lol
That's OK if your a chebbie owner just beat on the POS, on a Beemer that is a sin.
JMO I love and respect machinery especially high quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the head off and sent it to a shop to make sure it's not warped or cracked but after leaving it with him for a day he says he can't do it because he can't get the rocker arms off. So, now I'm trying to decide if I should send it to another place, try and test it myself, or just say screw it and put the new head gasket on and see if it does the trick. I guess I'm just anxious to get my e30 back on the road, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the guy found specs for my head and he says it's warped too badly to be repaired. Anyone have any advice on finding a new head?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts