BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
It seems like I have a big problem..... head or head gasket .... I keep loosing antifreeze from inside the engine as 3 different mechanics checked for exterior leaks and couldn't find anything.
On top of everything, I have to add about 500 ml of antifreeze every 500 km as the pressure inside the engine is so high the antifreeze is forced out through expansion tank cap and that is why I have to add about 500 ml per week. A couple months ago, the situation was a little bit better as the pressure inside the cooling system was not as high as is now and I use to add only a 250 ml every few months. Therefore, if there is a head/head gasket crack is minor. Note that there are no white fumes coming out of the exhaust.
The thermostat (OEM) was replaced 2 weeks ago.
I also want to add that in the morning (cold engine), I have no heat inside the cabin for about 4 km or +/- 10 min.

Since the repairs are over $2000, I would like to try do it myself. Do you know where I can find a good DIY? Is it recommended?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
There have been a number of similar threads here recently where most possibilities were discussed....scroll down the thread titles and read the pertinent ones. Unless you`re an experienced mechanic, this is likely *not* a DIY job....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ihave a similar problem with thesame 2001 BMW 325. I use about a cup of coolant every 100-300 miles. That's been the same for many months. I checked for combustion products in the coolant and they ARE present. I do have a head gasket problem and am thinking about using a sealant first before attacking the overhaul. Dura Seal claims to have just the correct product for the BMWs. Has anyone had any experience with this product?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.