Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 E39 with xenon headlights. One of the lights fell out of alignment over a hard bump and cannot be adjusted. The BMWTIPS website is for pre-angel eye cars, and the parts don't work.

Does anyone know what to do, short of buying a new headlight?

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
277 Posts
The factory solution is to get a new headlight, there are no parts avalible for the post -00 headlights.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
someone did a post yesterday about metal replacement rods

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Robert A said:
I have a 2001 E39 with xenon headlights. One of the lights fell out of alignment over a hard bump and cannot be adjusted. The BMWTIPS website is for pre-angel eye cars, and the parts don't work.

Insurance?

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,541 Posts
Robert A said:

Metal adjusters.

Click here

·
Registered
277 Posts
1bad540 said:
someone did a post yesterday about metal replacement rods
Check my first post in this thread, thoose are the metal rods posted.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Robert A said:
On a $600 claim? I think not.
Why not? This covers under comprehensive which will not go against your record ie no increased premiums! Unless your deductable is say at a $1000 then obviously it would not make sense.

Just a thought was all....chill out.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
sidneyj said:
Why not? This covers under comprehensive which will not go against your record ie no increased premiums! Unless your deductable is say at a $1000 then obviously it would not make sense.
Damage due to hitting a large bump is probably not covered under your auto policy if that bump is part of the roadway. Same reason that wheel alignments are not covered when you hit a pothole. However, if the bump was something other than the road itself, say a tree limb, then it might be covered subject to your deductible.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You haven't read my original post about hitting a hard bump, which in layman's terms means "collision." That's like scraping your bodywork on a curb.

In any event, my deductible is $500 for comprehensive, so, there's not much point to making claim.

sidneyj said:

Just a thought was all....chill out.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
itsmike said:
What parts did you zip tie?
With the hood open, look at the fender well near the headlight, you'll see a hole, you can run a zip tie through there as a loop. Run another looped zip tie around the xenon fixture itself (you can move it up and down in the rubber boot) and attach the two ties together. To lift, simply tighten/pull your top zip tie.

The headlights have no problem moving up and down when the car starts. The visible difference before and after is QUITE dramatic! I can actually see to drive safely at night.

I'm thinking a cable tensioner type device would be an easy thing to make to replace the zip ties for a more professional solution. I may produce one soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts