BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the headlight assembly without taking off the bumper? I need to get in and clean the inside of the headlight lens. I feel like the light output would be better if I could just get in there and clean the damn lens!
Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
But to address your issues...

Are you sure the inside of the lenses need cleaned and not the outside? Because you're talking a whole different ballgame if you're taking the headlight assembly apart. I just removed my headlights and you can't remove the lenses without effectively ripping the sealant stuff apart and bonding it back together when finished. But I'm not 100% on that part, I'll leave that concern up to the "experts" that will likely chime in.

To remove the headlight, you need to jack up the front of the rig, remove the wheel(s), remove fender flare arches, remove the wheel well liner (front portion) that has about 20 screws.

The next part supposedly may vary, I dunno, but this is what I had to do:
Remove the 3 bolts holding the lower oil cooler in place on the driver side wheel well to let it hang.
Loosen up the fender support frame that's in there because for me it definitely prevented the headlight from coming out
Remove top bolts from fender that run along the engine compartment
Loosen bumper from fender (should snap apart in multiple spots, be careful)
Remove the 5 bolts holding the headlamp in place from in the wheel well, you can see them now.

At this point, things should be able to "wobble" around enough to slowly pull the headlight back out of the wheel well.

Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I would tape up the headlight too before removal to prevent scratches to the headlights on removal. Also, if you are going to put in the effort to heat up the headlight to soften the sealant, and take the clear plastic cover off the front, might as well swap the lens in the projector. That alone will give you more light

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/zkw-r.html

You can buy new sealant from there too
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials.html

Let us know how it goes, I know I have done a few retros before, but I am too chicken to rip apart these expensive E70 headlights

·
Registered
26 Posts

Let us know how it goes, I know I have done a few retros before, but I am too chicken to rip apart these expensive E70 headlights
That's how I felt when I was pulling that headlight apart to fix the halo. Don't mess this up, don't mess this up, don't mess this up.... lol. Then when I got to the halo, hell now it doesn't matter if I mess it up haha.

Totally scratched my lense pulling it out too. But I had already planned to sand down and refinish the lenses when they were out so didn't matter much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Yeah, the whole vehicle just got detailed. Thought it would do the trick on headlights, but even after trying to sand it down and clean the outer lens myself, it's still hazy and it looks to be coming from the inside. Bummer. Don't really feel it's necessary to go through the whole process just to get to the inner lens. darn! Guess I'll just have to deal with it! :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More detailed....

I was actually referring to the outer light cover, not the headlight xenon lens area if that makes any sense? Ever see those commercials where you can buy a kit to restore your headlights back to clear? That's essentially what I need to do, except on the inside The outside is clear, but I can see dust on the inside lens and it's annoying!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was actually referring to the outer light cover, not the headlight xenon lens area if that makes any sense? Ever see those commercials where you can buy a kit to restore your headlights back to clear? That's essentially what I need to do, except on the inside The outside is clear, but I can see dust on the inside lens and it's annoying!
You can actually get lense replacements on eBay for about 100-150. Way less work than trying to figure out the issues. Well, easier than sanding etc if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts