BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Headlight auto level malfunction

2727 4
Hi, recently I had a piece of torn truck tire impact the right side headlight area. Then I noticed the right side headlight stays down while the left side headlight tilts upwards when the headlight is initially turned on. So the right side is aiming low into the ground while the left side is aiming properly ahead. Any quick fix other than turning the headlight adjustment screw for the vertical adjustment? Help is very much appreciated.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Hi bkim004 :wave:

have you checked the connections on the back of the right side headlight? :dunno:

On your model 745, there is a separate small connector that controls the levelling of the headlight aim. It maybe that the impact was enough to dislodge this small connector.

The connector is X1035 in this diagram.

and the connector looks like this.......

Ace :typing:
Im having the same problem. Im getting error "9CBC" short circuit. LM: Communication with right SMC disrupted. Tried to unplug it and clean it, put it back and the same problem again. Idk what to do about it or if I have to use tools32 to clear the error. Im stuck with this problem for some time now.
Hi bkim004 :wave:

have you checked the connections on the back of the right side headlight? :dunno:

On your model 745, there is a separate small connector that controls the levelling of the headlight aim. It maybe that the impact was enough to dislodge this small connector.

The connector is X1035 in this diagram.

and the connector looks like this.......

Ace :typing:
Thanks, AceFX,
It was the info I was looking for. Unfortunately the connection was still firmly in place, when I checked it. I am thinking its the actualy mechanism inside that controls the beam level that may have been damaged. Anyway to fix this or is this something that requires the replacement of the whole headlight assembly?
need further help

Thanks for the info on the wire connector for the level control.
I checked but the wire is firmly in place.
Problem is the mechanism that allows the low beam to dip down and tilt up again when the light is turned on seems to be restricted, and doesn't allow a full range of motion compared to the other headllight. I do see it move up and down slightly but most of time its stuck at low angle. I adjusted the beam upwards to be at same level as the other one, but then the beam later comes back up and ends up aiming too high.
Question: 1
Can I disconnect the control wire to disable vertical control so that it stay at same level?
Question2:
Any DIY tip to repair the malfunctioning level control mechanism? Replacing the whole assembly seems like a overkill.
Thanks in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.