BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been browsing around and found Lastfit D1S LED kit. Their site don’t cover beemers but it is the correct bulb type and fit. Just wondering if anybody here have gone to LED for their HID X5’s. Factory headlight ballast won’t be used anymore. Kit comes with positive + & negative - cable thst will plug into LED D1. Can’t seem to find where to pull the power from in the headlight wiring. Anybody know where to splice it from?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Why? WHYYYYYY?
First, you are buying some unknown shitty brand!
Second, LED in reflectors spread light all over the place. You will lose a lot of light.
If you want “upgrade” go LED in fog housing (Osram or Phillips) and in HiD go Osram or Phillips that are designated as upgrade, but not sure you will gain anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why? WHYYYYYY?
First, you are buying some unknown shitty brand!
Second, LED in reflectors spread light all over the place. You will lose a lot of light.
If you want “upgrade” go LED in fog housing (Osram or Phillips) and in HiD go Osram or Phillips that are designated as upgrade, but not sure you will gain anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E70 is about to be 10yrs old. It’s time to mess around and change things up for fun/hobby. It’s coming from Lastfit.com and I got their D5S HID>LED plug-n-play kit for my Silverado 1500. It’s been 2yrs w no issue and the look and beam pattern is amazing.
Already did the Fogs in LED. Also changed the stock D1S to Osram Cool Blue Intense Xenarc Next Gen from Retrofit lab. Looks better but kind of boring same Ol. Trying something new since it’s an oldie and was just wondering if anyone knows or done the switch. The kit their selling is not plug-n-play.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
E70 is about to be 10yrs old. It’s time to mess around and change things up for fun/hobby. It’s coming from Lastfit.com and I got their D5S HID>LED plug-n-play kit for my Silverado 1500. It’s been 2yrs w no issue and the look and beam pattern is amazing.
Already did the Fogs in LED. Also changed the stock D1S to Osram Cool Blue Intense Xenarc Next Gen from Retrofit lab. Looks better but kind of boring same Ol. Trying something new since it’s an oldie and was just wondering if anyone knows or done the switch. The kit their selling is not plug-n-play.
Of course it is not plug and play as retrofitting headlights from regular to LED or HiD to LED is illegal.
Did Silverado had HiD or regular lights? Improvement sometimes happens sometimes not. HiD in BMW’s are already good, so highly doubt you will gain anything.
Now, if you want “interesting “ to be like most Honda Civic “ricers” out there, I would go LED in Pink color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silverado had HID and it’s an easy setup. Can’t say enough of how good it looks. Visibility and beam pattern is almost like my friends laser lights. Matches perfectly with the stock LED 1500 fogs & DRL.

Again, E70 is already old and it’s just a hobby/tinkering around car at this point. Modernizing the looks and function a bit.
Got some advice that all I need to do is disconnect the ballast. Won’t be needed and to use the +/- power coming from there to plug to the kit. Will comb around for more info & give it a go. I’ll take pics

I don’t know about pink, but purple, red, blue will be gold 👌🏼. If OSSDesign & BayOptiks worked on X5 lights I’d asked them to custom it.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Silverado had HID and it’s an easy setup. Can’t say enough of how good it looks. Visibility and beam pattern is almost like my friends laser lights. Matches perfectly with the stock LED 1500 fogs & DRL.

Again, E70 is already old and it’s just a hobby/tinkering around car at this point. Modernizing the looks and function a bit.
Got some advice that all I need to do is disconnect the ballast. Won’t be needed and to use the +/- power coming from there to plug to the kit. Will comb around for more info & give it a go. I’ll take pics

I don’t know about pink, but purple, red, blue will be gold . If OSSDesign & BayOptiks worked on X5 lights I’d asked them to custom it.
I think the fact that aftermarket LED are better than HiD on Silverado tells more about Silverado than those lights.
You claim that you are doing it bcs. BMW is old. So you will retrofit DOT non-approved product on old installation?
I mean fine, but I personally would also get fire extinguisher bracket to install extinguisher below your or passages seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relax mate. Don’t be a snob. Newer 1500s are great for a full size truck. Aftermarket parts have the good and bad apples. For the most part OE aftermarket are always better than stock BMW factory installed. The whole car scene culture is basically full of ‘non DOT approved’ customization. It’s all preference, To each his own. DOT is a mute point. It’s all good fun mate. You do you sir 👍🏼.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Relax mate. Don’t be a snob. Newer 1500s are great for a full size truck. Aftermarket parts have the good and bad apples. For the most part OE aftermarket are always better than stock BMW factory installed. The whole car scene culture is basically full of ‘non DOT approved’ customization. It’s all preference, To each his own. DOT is a mute point. It’s all good fun mate. You do you sir .
So these are better than Osram or Phillips products BMW is exclusively using?
Why not getting than vehicle that is equipped with those products or no manufacturers buy them?
Of course to each his own, I just hate seeing BMW that looks like 1992 Civic.

·
Registered
2010 X5 E70 35D M57
49 Posts
Give it a go, if it doesn't work put the HID back. I was pleasantly surprised a while ago when I put LED bulbs in a car that had halogens. May not work for you, but be a try-er - you'll learn from the experience.
Car manufacturers not using certain products may be due to political or economic reasons...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,106 Posts
Give it a go, if it doesn't work put the HID back. I was pleasantly surprised a while ago when I put LED bulbs in a car that had halogens. May not work for you, but be a try-er - you'll learn from the experience.
Car manufacturers not using certain products may be due to political or economic reasons...
More likely not using certain products is due to UN-ECE homologation regulation and requirements.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Yeah, it is not bcs. political or economic reasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts