Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the car is getting old and that means that some parts are getting brittle. Especially bad on the headlights. The large headlight cover uses 2 locking plastic tabs on top and two Plastic “hinges” on the bottom. Now I had one of the “hinges” snap off some time ago but yesterday one of the top one snapped.
Have looked at Realoem but there does not seem to be a part you can exchange in order to get the tabs back again. Gluing don’t work. I have tried. Even superglue will snap off when you try to use it. The stuff you use for model planes is no good either as the rest of the thing you are trying to glue is still brittle.
So any ideas on how to fix?
Should mention that getting a used headlight and just swap parts is not really an option. For some reason headlights are really expensive- even when broken.
Right now I am getting by using gaffe tape / duck tape and it working but will fail in the next inspection if I don’t get it fixed before then.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Those tabs are part of the headlight assembly itself, correct? If so, you are out of luck. To the best of my knowledge, the only choice you have is to replace the whole headlight assembly. If you have single tabs left on the top and the bottom, you may be able to secure the headlight with duct tape, etc. However, make sure that they are properly aligned. The last thing that you want to do is to have them point into oncoming traffic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts