BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My *new* 03 525iAT just got back from my guy who went through the entire car as I just purchased it. 2 Owner CA car, 88k, clean Carfax, new rubber, brakes, and valve cover gasket replaced.

The Good: no rust anywhere. No leaks anywhere. Vapor barriers holding. All electronics appear to be working including all pixels. Suspension bushings are solid showing little wear. No apparent accident damage, all panels straight and intact with matching VINS.

The Bad: front under engine plastic screening missing, bare metal scrapes to rear under cargo area, serp belt showing a few crack, right front tweeter and mid (DSP HIFI) aren't working.

The Ugly: headlight level sensor wires ripped from plug. While I've searched this and other forums, I can't find a wiring diagram for the headlight level sensor and/or part number. HIDs are currently aiming to the ground and no function check occurs upon startup. Hoping rewiring will fix this before getting into other parts. Can anyone help?

Mods/Maintenance performed: BMW Aux input jack installed in glovebox, V1 hard wired to Sunroof power supply, new air filter, cabin air filters, OEM floor mats, OEM wiper blades.

Looking forward to becoming an active member of this forum, which has already been a tremendous help throughout my two month search for my touring.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Level sensor schematic

BMW sells a repair kit for the level sensor connector - pt # 61 12 6 902 569. It includes the plastic connector complete with pins and leads ready to wire to the car's harness.

I too bought my car with this plug damaged. The headlights still did the startup up/down registration cycle. So I'd recommend having the car scanned for fault codes with a diagnostic system able to read every module in the car, not a generic scanners that can see only powertrain modules. There may be other faults in the self leveling system.

You should also check for broken adjusters. Faulty leveling motors &/or sensors don't result in the headlights being aimed at the ground. You'll find DIYs in the "best links" thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
If they're pointing at the ground, the leveling screws are likely broken. Even w/o the leveling signals, the lights retain the last setting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts