Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2005 ZHP convertible with the Xenon lights.

About a month ago, the driver side headlight went out and I got the dash indicator. No big deal, I figured on a 15 year old car, replacing a bulb or two is expected.

I opened the cap above the light and saw the wiring insulation had broken away and exposed the wiring. I sealed it all back up, put in a new bulb, but it still did not work.

I started swapping parts from the passenger side to see if there may be another issue. Some time during those activities, the passenger side stopped working.

I returned everything back to original locations. I bought new bulbs. And now, neither side is working.

Running lights work, turn signals work. But the Xenons do not. And there is no dash indicator that any light is out. With the hood up, I can hear a click when activating the switch but no lights.

Any thoughts on what to check for next?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,419 Posts
There are three components to a Xenon HID, the burner that you might call ***8216;bulb***8217;, the high voltage source ballast and the higher voltage source igniter. They all age together and should be changed together, about $200 the set.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had the same problem. At some point in time when the insulation melts away the wires WILL break. They are a pain to fix in the housing, but it can be done..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

A few more details:

When the driver side went out, the indicator came on in the dash. After pulling the D2S bulb and swapping components, the passenger side went out and the dash warning light illuminated as well.

but now, neither dash warning lights are illuminated and neither xenon lights work.

That sounds strange to me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Check fuses. You mighta done something wrong when swapping

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check fuses. You mighta done something wrong when swapping

I checked fuses 9 and 32 (both 5A) and both looked good.

Would a bad headlight fuse cause the dash indicator to no longer illuminate even if headlights are out?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Without a proper wiring diagram it is hard to know how exactly the system is set up.

It may be measuring resistance across that line to determine if the lights are out or not.

I know the xenon headlights are complicated so I would assume something is bad on the headlight side of things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh....this is so frustrating.

I still don't know why my dash illuminators now all of a sudden don't indicate bad lights, when they did before.

I've ordered new ballasts and bulbs. Repaired brittle wiring as best as I could.

I'll try the new ballasts when they arrive.

Should i just buy all new headlights? Very pricey for Xenons!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts