BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a 2001 BMW 540i, and recently bought new headlights for it and installed them ourselves since they are plug n play lights. Lately, the dashboard has been saying "Check side lights".
Im assuming the day time running lights consist of the halo's and the side yellow lights... Well, when we turn on the daytime running lights, the passenger side halo works as well as the side yellow light; however, the driver side halo works, but the side yellow light does not come on, BUT it works as a blinker.
When I disconnect the halo on the driver side, the side yellow light comes on and works as a blinker like normal.

After doing a little research, Im guessing I may need a resistor for the halo. But I don't know where to put it or the size I would need.

Am I right about needing a resistor? If so, how would I install it and what size would I need?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
We bought them on ebay, but they clamined to be OEM, halo, angel eyes, plug n play, etc.
What was wrong with the old ones?

If the lenses were cloudy, this from the VERY best of E39 Links would have fixed 'em nicely:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) & polishing yellowed taillights (1)

If the PBT plastic adjusters were broken, this from the VERY best of E39 Links would have fixed 'em for anywhere between $5 for both headlights to $160 for both headlights.
- HEADLIGHT ADJUSTERS CRUMBLE: brittle PBT plastic headlight adjusters that simply crumble over time causing the lights to point downward (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) & a comprehensive list of all your available options, by price (1)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There wasnt really anyting wrong with the old headlights. They were just cloudy and the halo was yellow so we wanted new ones so it would look nice and clean and so the halo would have the bluish tint to them.
Everything worked fine but thanks for the links.
Would you have any idea about the resistors tho, or how I can fix it so the "Check side lights" stops coming on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.