Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I finally received the new driver side headlight and replaced it - took me 3.5 hrs in total as I was taking my time and labelling all screws, etc.

I'm going to redo it all again as I think the gaps are a bit off, plus I need to aim the light properly (it's pointing at quite the downward angle).

I am loathe to keep pulling off this bumper, so if anyone can tell me if I'm missing steps below would be appreciated...so this can be the last time!

1) Remove screws and pull off bumper cover
2) Remove screws for headlight and disconnect/remove
3) Transfer D1S bulb, Ignitor Module and Adaptive Headlight (AHL) Control Module from old headlight to new
4) Do I need to program the AHL module to the new light? If so, how?
5) Do I need to calibrate the AHL? If so, how?
6) Reinstall headlight using gap dimensions from NewTIS https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e63-650i-cou_200806/repair-manuals/63-lights/63-12-headlight/DxVvDOM
7) Aim headlight - any specific guide for this on e63?
8) Reinstall bumper cover

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Ok, so I finally received the new driver side headlight and replaced it - took me 3.5 hrs in total as I was taking my time and labelling all screws, etc.

I'm going to redo it all again as I think the gaps are a bit off, plus I need to aim the light properly (it's pointing at quite the downward angle).

I am loathe to keep pulling off this bumper, so if anyone can tell me if I'm missing steps below would be appreciated...so this can be the last time!

1) Remove screws and pull off bumper cover
2) Remove screws for headlight and disconnect/remove
3) Transfer D1S bulb, Ignitor Module and Adaptive Headlight (AHL) Control Module from old headlight to new
4) Do I need to program the AHL module to the new light? If so, how?
5) Do I need to calibrate the AHL? If so, how?
6) Reinstall headlight using gap dimensions from NewTIS https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e63-650i-cou_200806/repair-manuals/63-lights/63-12-headlight/DxVvDOM
7) Aim headlight - any specific guide for this on e63?
8) Reinstall bumper cover

Thanks!
If your old modules were reused, there should not be anything to do. I do not remember any up/down settings on the headlight assembly, they should level properly on there own. Your LM is probably a newer version than mine, so I am not positive on this. If you have the headlight installed, use ISTA/D to access the module. Right click on the module, & enter the ECU functions. You can then run diagnostics to see if they lights are working properly. The gaps that TIS uses are body gap measurements, not headlight adjustments. The bumper cover can be adjusted with the top bolts, to get the gaps as close as possible. You can use a wedge to measure the gaps, or simply eyeball them. If you have to code the AHL module, you will need to do this in NCSExpert, & access the module. A blank.man file should fix the problem. I might have the steps stored somewhere in my PC, if you need some help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HerbP! Always to my rescue! :)

Yes, I used the old modules, so I assume they have the VIN coded already. However, I read that there is a "zero-position sensor" for horizontal movement only on the E63/E64 and thought this may need adjustment/coding.

I was checking out the old damaged headlight and there are two white knobs on the top of it that can be turned with an allen key. One of them isn't connected to anything (weird), but lo-and-behold, the second one controls the vertical angle of the Xenon! I can't find any info on NewTIS or the web about this knob...go figure. Any experience with this?

There is also the "4th bolt" on the top-outside of the headlight housing that goes into a plastic adjustment piece (can be turned from the wheel well). I thought this was the vertical adjustment at first, but now I believe it to be the horizontal adjustment. Again, can't find any info on it, so any insight is appreciated.

Yes, the gaps are body gap measurements (headlight gap specs are also there), but I wasn't aware of these when installing the light, so I'm going to redo them in case I didn't gap properly.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Thanks HerbP! Always to my rescue! :)

Yes, I used the old modules, so I assume they have the VIN coded already. However, I read that there is a "zero-position sensor" for horizontal movement only on the E63/E64 and thought this may need adjustment/coding.

I was checking out the old damaged headlight and there are two white knobs on the top of it that can be turned with an allen key. One of them isn't connected to anything (weird), but lo-and-behold, the second one controls the vertical angle of the Xenon! I can't find any info on NewTIS or the web about this knob...go figure. Any experience with this?

There is also the "4th bolt" on the top-outside of the headlight housing that goes into a plastic adjustment piece (can be turned from the wheel well). I thought this was the vertical adjustment at first, but now I believe it to be the horizontal adjustment. Again, can't find any info on it, so any insight is appreciated.

Yes, the gaps are body gap measurements (headlight gap specs are also there), but I wasn't aware of these when installing the light, so I'm going to redo them in case I didn't gap properly.

Thanks again!
I think the "zero-position sensor" for horizontal movement is referring to the sensor on the bottom side of the bumper area. I just looked at some old pics of my headlight, & that refreshed my memory on the adjustment knobs. Below are some PDF's that should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again HerbP!

I had most of the info in those guides, *except* I did find a nugget in there where the adjustment screws are described - yay! As suspected, the white one on the top is for vertical adjustment and the black one accessible from the wheel well is for horizontal - fantastic!

I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and hopefully cancel my dealer appointment, which I'm sure they would have charged me a fortune for "adjusting my headlights"...lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping the PDF's might help.
They did! That part that clearly described what the knobs were for was exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

I guess AHL and self-centering lights aren't as fully automated as one might think...they still need manual adjustment to get them into the correct position and then they will maintain that position after it is set.

I guess that *sort of* makes sense? :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
I added the PDF's to the DIY lighting section so they can be easily accessed. There has been a sticky added at the top of the page that will take you directly to the DIY Section. We hope this will help everyone looking for DIY's while searching for DIY help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts