BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently drove my 2012 328xi fromNE to NC. Bought used a few months ago with 100k this is the first long long road trip.

On the option list are High Intensity self leveling headlights.

Lots of night driving. On low beams the throw appears way short to the point of overdriving the lights. This forced me to use high beams which of course is an issue in traffic.

I do note that the beams appear to lower
when turning the lights on at night.
This car came with an option of special headlights.

Is there an adjustment, a code, software?

Solution to add driving lights, though not sure where I would install. My previous cars all had space above bumper or side of radiator.

Your experience and suggestions are greatly appreciated as I do hope to keep this wonderful driving car for a long time.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Adjust your headlights on low beam. Plenty of info on line.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
21,981 Posts
Headlight aiming is strictly regulated by FMVSS No. 108

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,052 Posts
Headlight aiming is strictly regulated by FMVSS No. 108
True, but hack mechanics who may have mis-aimed OP's headlights are not.

Is there an adjustment, a code, software?
BMW TIS procedures for aiming headlights: 328i xDrive Coupe: 63-10 Headlight Adjustment

The official procedure requires an optical alignment jig but when that's not available, measurements are provided to accomplish the job the old-fashioned way (parked on level ground in front of a white wall). Most BMWs up to (and including) the E90s are designed with a 1% beam drop (i.e., 1 centimeter per meter).

Note this procedure adjusts static aim only. If the static aim cannot be adjusted to specification, the headlights are installed properly, and there is no collision damage, look for a problem in the self-leveling system.

Also, lateral headlight adjustment is mechanically blocked on US-market E90 et al., so don't try--vertical adjustments only.

·
Registered
154 Posts
check the self leveling sensor inputs.

that's the first thing.

if that all works, check that the headlights haven't dropped inside because of broken linkages.

if that's all fine and they go up and down normally,
re aim the lights.

you can do it decently against a wall. people don't flash me and they're adjusted out plenty far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts