Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told I had headlight washers on my new (CPO) car.
I have the little trapezoidal cutouts below the headlights, but have been unable to find out how to operate them... or even determine if I really have them.

Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
You cannot operate them independently. You can program how they work like every 3 windshield cleanings up to 5 also you can program the intensity and duration of them. Only the dealer or you if you have the correct software can do that programming. But if it’s got those cut outs below both headlights then it has them. If it didn’t it would be smooth without any cutouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the little trapezoidal cutouts below the headlights, but have been unable to find out how to operate them... or even determine if I really have them.

Thanks
I just bought a CPO 2016 535 i. I think the headlight washers come on when you wash the windshield if the headlights are on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep trying. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I believe all F10's have the ability to have headlight washers, i.e. the "cut-outs" are on EVERY F10. IIRC, the Cold Weather package is required to have the washers activated. I looked into retrofitting them on my F10, but after reading about their effectiveness I've decided against it.

·
Glfbggy
600 Posts
People may disagree with me, but I believe headlight washers are useful in snow country. They have pretty good pressure and will clear lenses of accumulating snow while you drive. If you don't live in snow country, or if you do but are driving in non-snow season, I find little use for them....

·
Registered
738 Posts
People may disagree with me, but I believe headlight washers are useful in snow country. They have pretty good pressure and will clear lenses of accumulating snow while you drive. If you don't live in snow country, or if you do but are driving in non-snow season, I find little use for them....
It's mostly the dried on road salt spray that they help with. And they *do* work.

If you aren't in road salt territory, they're probably of limited usefulness.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts

Thanks
I'll keep trying. Stay tuned.
If you have an owners manual...then look up the headlight washer's operation in the index. If you don't have an owners manual...then let us know..someone can go online and download a PDF version of the owners manual...then take a screen shot...then upload it for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just messed with it.
Correct, with wipers and headlights on it worked !
I still haven't seen them work. Gotta wait to get my wife outside to give it a try while I watch.
Got a lot of spray on the hood. At speed it is probably going to hit the lights more.

I searched the manual and still found nothing. Go figure.
I'll have to try the electronic manual inboard the car.
I'm ok now, thanks for the offer anyway.

Rich

·
Registered
201 Posts
Every 4 or 5 times the windshield is washed - IF the lights are on.
I can turn mine on by switch the light switch all the way to the right, turn on the high beam then trigger the washer. Both window the headlight washers activate.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A lot of washer fluid is wasted when they are used. In winter, they are effective but the rest of the year they are not useful. I turn OFF my headlights at a stoplight when I need the windshield cleaned but not the headlights since as noted above they only function when headlights and wipers are both on.
Some of my old Mercedes had washers and little wipers which were even more annoying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have them and I wish i didn't lol

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Just messed with it.
Correct, with wipers and headlights on it worked !
I still haven't seen them work. Gotta wait to get my wife outside to give it a try while I watch.
Got a lot of spray on the hood. At speed it is probably going to hit the lights more.

Rich
:D Just in case she shoots you down...just look for a location that has a good reflection...or set-up your cell phone and record a video. :D

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
A lot of washer fluid is wasted when they are used.
”Wasted,” how so? At speed overspray misses the headlight covers? Don’t expect them to work properly while stopped. Washer fluid is almost free in the grand scheme of things.

Indeed, being parsimonious of WW fluid may be why so many have clogging problems.

I might use a gallon per week winter and summer. I make my own from distilled water and methanol-denatured ethanol, varying the fractions with the freeze and thaw. DI water to avoid water spots. Ethanol as anti-freeze, wetting agent, solvent, de-icer.

Methanol-denatured ethanol for painters is about US$15 per gallon at my remote hardware store. Distilled water is about US$1 per gallon and has lots of uses in my household.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
The only time I use them is during the winter when enough road spray dries on the front, but the temps remain way below freezing (32° F/0° C)...so washing the car is not a good idea because I don't want the doors/handles to freeze up and not open/close properly. When the headlamps get this dirty (see pics below) it can affect your headlamps efficacy...thus having headlamp washers is a godsend. Like already mentioned...its not an issue other times of the year as long as you don't have the headlamps turned on when you're using the system:

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I disabled mine with Carly-- they just wasted washer fluid . . .
Very interesting thanks for the comment I might give it a try and see if I can avoid the mess it makes on the car :thumbup::D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts