BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new headlights (the driver side) is fogging up after the engine has been running, usually withing the first couple of minutes. This are brand new from the dealer. They where installed by the body shop after the new paint job. Any ideas why this is happening? Could it be defective? or where they installed incorrectly?

Thanks,

Tony

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
I had the same problem after I installed some after market headlights in my 323i. The fog is of course because of moisture that was trapped in the headlight when they were installed; probably nothing the install shop could have done about it. The headlights and engine create enough energy to evaporate the moisture that has collected on the inner walls. The clear plastic is very thin and therefore conducts heat well, easily cooling the evaporated moister. And that's why all the moister ends up on the clear plastic and not elsewhere.

There are tiny gaps in the rubber "seal" around the head light enclosure. Turn on your highbeams for a few hours, and the moisture should escape out those gaps. This problem with my 323i went away after about a week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts