BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to adjust the low beam height on the LCI 2009 E90? I stared at the headlight assembly for 10 minutes and remain clueless. I also looked in the owner's manual and it's silent on this issue. Can we do it ourselves easy or does it need a service appointment?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts
I'm sure they are manually adjustable. The car should have come with them set at the proper level. They also self-level based on the load in the car. What makes you think yours need adjusting?

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe it's possible... check this post out:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6704

There's a picture in there indicating which screw to turn to adjust the light level. I looked at my 09 335i and the screw is there… it's on a slight angle. I've noticed that my lights appear to be adjusted slightly low from the factory. There are instructions on how to properly aim a headlight on page 5 of the thread in PDF format.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure they are manually adjustable. The car should have come with them set at the proper level. They also self-level based on the load in the car. What makes you think yours need adjusting?
Big Brother: They were not set properly from the factory. They're too low like the other posters noted as well. It has nothing to do with self leveling - that works fine.

Thanks for checking to see if I was an idiot first.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it's possible... check this post out:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6704

There's a picture in there indicating which screw to turn to adjust the light level. I looked at my 09 335i and the screw is there… it's on a slight angle. I've noticed that my lights appear to be adjusted slightly low from the factory. There are instructions on how to properly aim a headlight on page 5 of the thread in PDF format.
Thanks, but that thread is from 2005. The 09' headlight assembly looks very different. Can you snap a pic of the screw on yours since you have an 09 as well? Also, why the [email protected]@#!? doesn't the owner's manual discuss this? what glaring (no pun intended) oversight.

·
Registered
366 Posts
06 e90

I adjusted mine on the 06 E90. There are these bolts/screws that you could turn. YOu have to make sure the right one is lower though.

I would go look at the car and take a picture, but it's been at the dealership for a week one. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's a pic from mine. Adjustment can be made with a medium sized phillips head screwdriver. I just adjusted mine up about 1.5 inches from 10 feet out. We'll see in the morning (5am) if they piss anyone off. I had the same feeling driving down a dark road not really being able to see more than 10 yards out without the hi-beams. This should help.

(pic is drivers side - counterclockwise to raise)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done! How easy was that? 123. 3 turns counterclockwise on each assembly and test drive: now it's perfect. Thanks guys.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Mine were too low from the factory (low = conservative as to not piss off other drivers). I raised them. They still don't blind drivers, but I can see much further down the road. :thumbup:

- Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Will this technique only work on Xenons? I have an 07 328xi that I got CPO and it unfortunately came with reflectors. Would the process be the same for me? Would the screws be in a different place or anything?

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
The lights should auto-adjust. My 330 auto adjust (vertically) when the car turns on (you can see this at night).
Also note, in most (if not all US states) the lights need to be at a certain height. Your car will not pass inspection if they are too lower or (more importantly) too high

·
Registered
86 Posts
The lights should auto-adjust. My 330 auto adjust (vertically) when the car turns on (you can see this at night).
Also note, in most (if not all US states) the lights need to be at a certain height. Your car will not pass inspection if they are too lower or (more importantly) too high
I'm not sure if mine do adjust automatically. if they do, I've never noticed it.

The reason I want to raise mine is because they are pointed too low, I feel unsafe driving at night where there's tons of deer and other animals walking around. It gets annoying to have to switch on my brights every chance I get just to see down the road.

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever adjusted reflector headlights, not xenons, and can explain how it's done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I rent cars in France and Germany fairly often and they all have a thumb wheel on the dash for raising and lowering the lights within a certain range. For some reason no cars sold in the U.S. have this feature. My guess is that BMW sets the lights for the U.S. model at the lowest setting. I had mine raised when I first received my car and the dealer set them too high; then i had to fight to get them lowered a bit.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
I rent cars in France and Germany fairly often and they all have a thumb wheel on the dash for raising and lowering the lights within a certain range. For some reason no cars sold in the U.S. have this feature. My guess is that BMW sets the lights for the U.S. model at the lowest setting. I had mine raised when I first received my car and the dealer set them too high; then i had to fight to get them lowered a bit.
This is for towing and heavy loads. They will only lower the beam to adjust for the change in angle created by the heavy load.

I have always had my lights adjusted for free during services and oil changes, and altered if too high or low. I had them raised as I tend to outdrive the lights at night, but only very infrequently get a flash from oncoming traffic.

I do get bugged when you 'crest' a hill or bridge and oncoming traffic gives you the head light flash...

...come on, think about it, the headlights are angled down on low beam...

Rant over

1 - 20 of 22 Posts