BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around with the headlights on my new 330i tonight and noticed that both the low and high beam Xenons are on the outside two lights (via two bulbs in the same light) of the four headlights. The inside two lights look like they are halogen not Xenon but they only light up when I pull the turn signal/lights stalk to flash the lights. They don't go on with any other setting. So naturally I figured that they might be daytime running lights that need to be enabled by the dealer (as has been the case in the past) but I checked the manual and the section on DRL just says to turn your low beams on for DRL's. What am I missing? What's the purpose of these extra headlights. I can't image they were put on just to flash oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actually they were. Well, they are supposed to be the DRL as well if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently xenon bulbs can't go on/off fast enough so the halogens are included for flashing purposes.

The xenons switch between low and high beam with a reflector that is enable to angle light higher when high beams are enabled.

There is also the likelihood that the DRL programmability is not available for now, as indicated by the message at the bmwusa.com web site when you "build a new 3". The message's meaning is that dealer software to program some settings, including DRL, is buggy or unavailable for whatever reason and they are trying to get updated software out to the dealers ASAP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.