BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are pretty fogged over.... Any ideas? Anyone have luck with just changing the lens, or finding a good deal on some new ones?

-Joey

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
^

Sunny, that is hysterical!!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
New ones will be from $1100+ a side for non dynamic and alot of the cheap "do it yourself" headlight restoration kits aren't all that great. The lenses are not removable. Check your local craigslist for "headlight restoration". I have a guy near me that will do both for $125 including a clear coat after the sanding/buffing. Make sure that if you have someone restore your headlights, that they clear coat them afterwards because during the refinish process they remove the factory UV protection coat. Without the clear coat they will dull alot faster than they originally did.

Also, see this thread for restoration results: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402950

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I'ma get restoration a kit and see if I can't get my headlights to look better. I'll post some pics when I'm working on it (hopefully this Sunday).

I also ordered some new 8K low beam bulbs, as the current ones don't seem to be as bright as they should be.

One last thing I wanted to do while I got it all taken apart was, replace the AE bulbs. Anyone have feedback on some good or bad ones? I checked out some blue LED replacements, just not sure if there something better..or?

BTW... I'm new to the forums. Just got my Black on Black 745i 9 days ago :p

·
Registered
872 Posts
damn dude...u really dont wanna search the forum for anything huh? lol

http://www.e92-lighting.com/products/MTEC_ANGEL_EYE_E6X_E53_E39_E87-79-0.html (great reviews, great seller)

as for the low beams...ive heard that 8k is too high, i wanted to get 8k but people are saying 6k max. OEM is 4300k

and let me tell you, you have to take the bumper cover off to replace the AE bulbs.

good luck on the headlights, havent gotten around on doing mine yet but post pics of the headlights after you clean them up and the 8k bulbs, i wanna see what they look like.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I have 8,000K bulbs and love them. My old roommate got an Acura TSX not long ago and I liked the color of her bulbs, so I got some.

Also, to replace the angel eye bulbs in a non-facelifted E65/E66 (for example a 745) you don't have to take the bumper off; on a facelifted one (for example a 750), though, you do have to take the bumper off. Look in the DIY section for how to do it without taking the bumper off...or to do it the long way and take the bumper off look for my post about how to replace the angel eye bulbs (I have a set of pictures showing how to do it this way).

·
Registered
872 Posts
do you have pics of the 8k bulbs?

and did you lose alot of light on the road?

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I think I lost some light compared to other lower-temp bulbs maybe, but these are brighter than my old ones that were probably still the originals from 2002 so I'm good. lol.

·
Registered
872 Posts
looks nice, might be a lil too blue for me maybe, but it definitely looks nice. are those "blue" AE's? or the super white?

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
The angel eyes are blue...actually a rich blue, but I couldn't get my camera to accurately capture the color. I wasn't really sure I liked the blues at first, but they've grown on me, and everyone I've asked seems to like them, so I think they are staying.

The low beam bulbs are a little more toward blue than the stocks, but they really don't stand out at all or look out of place.

The last picture is probably the closest to proper color, and the second picture is probably closest to actual brightness of the low beams. Damn this camera.

·
Registered
872 Posts
ya, the more i look at it the more i like the low beams.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think I lost some light compared to other lower-temp bulbs maybe, but these are brighter than my old ones that were probably still the originals from 2002 so I'm good. lol.

I've wondered what you're car looked like bro...Very nice! I used to have blue angel eyes, until one blew out, I guess that's what you get when you buy product from China. Bought them off ebay for $50 dollars and lasted me 3 months. Bought the stock ones from the dealer but I might get the MTECH halos, they've gotten good reviews.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
I've wondered what you're car looked like bro...Very nice! I used to have blue angel eyes, until one blew out, I guess that's what you get when you buy product from China. Bought them off ebay for $50 dollars and lasted me 3 months. Bought the stock ones from the dealer but I might get the MTECH halos, they've gotten good reviews.
Thanks man...well, to be honest my car more often looks like the first few pictures than the last one, as I can't stop messing with it. The first set of blue AE's I got from some place in China and they were total crap, but I'm very happy with the newer ones -- I'll try to track down who I bought them from.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks man...well, to be honest my car more often looks like the first few pictures than the last one, as I can't stop messing with it. The first set of blue AE's I got from some place in China and they were total crap, but I'm very happy with the newer ones -- I'll try to track down who I bought them from.
It's fun taking things apart and putting them back together. I've taken the bumper off twice now to change halos and IMO it's easier that way than trying it without taking the bumper off. My hands are pretty big so the first time I tried it like other members have done it by just slightly sliding the headlights to the front and my knuckles did not appreciate it:banghead:.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
OK. So after forever, I finally found some time to get my new lights put in.

I never had taken off my front bumper, so it took me about two hours from start to finish.

I put in two 8k lows, and two 7k AE LED bulbs.

I'll take some pics tonight, and put them up in the next couple days :)

BTW.. Thanks to everyone that helped along the way!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts