BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Headlights

925 9
Is ir possible to change from HID lights to projection
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Yes look for pre installed housings on the number of links through out the forum. Look at ECS tuning and umnitza. Best bet is to retrofit OEM Hellas though.
Isn't that going backwards?
No the facelift is xenon projectors. Much better look IMO. Looks much newer. You can still run HID bulbs behind the projector lenses with the right kit.
I don't even understand the question. HID/xenon is one thing and Projectors are something else.

OP since you are new I'll throw some stuff out there to see if it helps clarify what you are looking for. Are you after a specific look, or better lighting output or addressing a certain problem?

You have a 2002 so unless someone else did some weird replacements with the lights you have projector lens' already. If you look at the driver's side headlights the outer/right lens (one that comes on when your low beams are on) is the the projector lens, the inner/left lens is a reflector (one that comes on when your high beams are on). The projector is just the type of lens you have and HID/Xenon is the type of bulb. All 2001+ e39 had projectors, but not all of them had HID/Xenons.

To tell if you have HID/xenons open the hood and look at the back of the headlight assembly if there is a square (usually silver) box (called a ballast) attached to back of the lights you have OEM HID/xenons. If you don't have that box you have standard halogen bulbs.

If you have halogens and want to upgrade HID/xenons the easiest was is buy a kit that has xenon bulbs and ballasts that will replace your halogen bulbs. Depending on where you buy from the kit will include e39 bub adapters/holders or you can get some off ebay. The e39 specific bulb adapters/holders allow the xenon/HID bulb to lock into place in your existing bulbs sockets. You can do a more involved and more expense projector swap. If you go that route FX-Rs and EVOX-Rs are the two popular projector swaps. But unless you are really picky or want Bixenons (xenon high and low beams) a HID/Xenon bulb conversion kit should give you good lighting output.

If you re unfamiliar/just learning this will be very helpful to teach you the basics and the picture will be more helpful than just reading descriptions alone.
http://www.hidretrofits.com/
Isn't that going backwards?
I what to go with the projection they are cheaper. My housing are both damaged. The bulbs and electrical are OK. If someone knows of a place to purchase just the housing at a good price.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
Say what about projection? Did you read Solo12's post?
If you want the headlight housing for cheap, go aftermarket.
I what to go with the projection they are cheaper. My housing are both damaged. The bulbs and electrical are OK. If someone knows of a place to purchase just the housing at a good price.

Damaged as in cracked? Depending on what exactly is wrong with them you may be able to fix them. Just fyi the adjusters can be replaced and the lens' as long as they are not cracked can be refinished at home for not much money. Actually, if you have cracked lens' provided your headlights are the ones that open you can replace the OEM lens with aftermarket lens' (a couple of people have done it).

Also depending on what is wrong with your lights you may be able to sell them them to help finance purchasing new lights and let someone else deal with refurbishing them. If they are HID/xenons they will bring more money than halogens.

If you are looking for cheaper OEM lights ebay and the forum classifieds are the way to go for used lights. New OEM halogen lights are probably going to still be pretty expensive even at discount sources.

You can get aftermarket lights, but you usually get what you pay for so the quality and aesthetics of super cheap lights may not be so great. Depo and DJ auto are the two big brands out there. Depo tend to be pretty cheap, but their quality is not so great and they look different than OEM. People say they usually break or have to be replaced pretty quickly. DJ auto lights are better quality and look more like OEM lights, but will cost a little more. Most people say the quality is not as good as OEM Hella lights. There are also a host of cheap ebay special lights out there, but the quality and looks may not be so great.

How do g
You replace the adjusters? I have found driver side in good condition. But roght side needs new adjustets.

Search for it there are 2 really good DIY's. I'm about to do it when I have some free time.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.