Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As described elsewhere our X3 was stolen, but recovered in relatively good shape ("only" interior damage) The liner for the panoramic window was stuffed about as far back as the cassette rails allowed. This probably happened when trying to stuff a small motorcycle into the back. Anyway, the cassette had to be replaced.

Everything's back together. The window sections are flush with the roof and move as expected. The glass is tight, as driving in the rain shows.

The problem is with closing the liner (sliding it forward). It moves back without a problem. Closing, however, doesn't go so well. Slide and hold the button forward, and the liner moves about 4-6" and stops. No crunches or "expensive noises", the motor stops running. It becomes shove, move, repeat.

The track was cleaned and looks as it should. It's a salvage cassette, so it's possible something isn't right, of course, but I'd like to correct the problem. Without dropping the headliner. The problem simply isn't worth it to me. Even with the original cassette, we rarely opening the liner, let alone open everything up.

Is there a problem or am I mis-remembering how the liner panels work? Is there a button push sequence I should be doing? Absent that, how much trouble am I going to make for myself if I pretty much douse all of the tracks with Boeshield (Teflon in an evaporating carrier). Or a "dry" lubricant. Or spray silicone. WD-40 isn't likely to do anything useful here. Right?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might try to calibrate the sunroof. With engine off, ignition on, push and hold the sunroof button in, after about 60 seconds it should start to move. Keep holding the button in until all movement stops.

This should cause the sunroof to learn the open and closed positions for both the sliding glass and the cover.

I’ve used spray silicone on the sunroof on my old E83. After wiping off the old grease I sprayed silicone and it worked great. I’d try that before using anything like WD-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, calibration can't hurt and might just be a good idea. Considering it's a new cassette.

In general, I look at WD-40 as smells a little like vanilla, and does a passable job of oiling my garden tools. Other than that, it doesn't stay around very long. If it matters, Boeshield is Plan A.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
I've used chain lube for an old dirt bike I used to have for the sunroofs in all my vehicles, haven't had a problem. ::knocks on wood::

·
Registered
485 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aMReQPJElU&list=PLy54c-kiBQ_tLOBcYppAcqVAKMCs1t7wt
Entire playlist on youtube

Based on your description you should:
1) Check the sunshade tracks for loose parts. See if all are present.
2) Check condition of sunshade vent mechanism, the tension cables that loop around in the bracket that holds the front sunshade....all cables have to be taught, not clack.
3) If initialization fails, then there is a mechanical issue, most likely broken or missing sliders. Lube will not fix that, neither will pixie dust.

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used chain lube for an old dirt bike I used to have for the sunroofs in all my vehicles, haven't had a problem. ::knocks on wood::
The problem with chain lube is it turns into a dust and dirt capture system. Which is why I no longer own a motorcycle with chain drive. :)

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might try to calibrate the sunroof. With engine off, ignition on, push and hold the sunroof button in, after about 60 seconds it should start to move. Keep holding the button in until all movement stops.

This should cause the sunroof to learn the open and closed positions for both the sliding glass and the cover.
[...]
No luck with that. But I learned something: the doors must be closed for this to work. The liner went back, as it should. But wouldn't come forward. Arghh! I've broken it! :thumbdwn:

And then I RTFM. Where it says "keep the door closed to close the liner." :thumbup:

The shop that put the cassette cleaned it up before it went in. I looked at when I stopped by to drop off a couple of parts. No question about clean.

The whole window assembly slides back and forward (I'd forgotten about the entire glass package moving). It's only the liner that's acting out. Of course the liner motor is in the back and not up front, where there's some hope at least watching it run.

Anyway, I'll lube the whole thing when I have time to get serious about it. Hey, if some lube's good, more's better. Right? :D

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sigh... I didn't hold the button long enough and/or I though all motion was done. Holding the button in place for 5 minutes is a better bet. The panel now slides as it should. Yea! :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts