BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres another thread here that reminded me I have the most annoying issue Ive been meaning to bring up here and ask for advice. First, to the guy whos BMW was recently stolen, I seriously feel for you. So I when I got my BMW a few years ago, I removed that "gutter" or whatever it is that runs under the spot where the 2 glass panels come together on the pano roof. I cant remember exactly but there was something on it (plastic) that had cracked and it wouldnt stay in place right. Against advisement, I took it out. I have to say, it really opens the view above getting that clunky thing out and it makes for a much better experience driving if you like the sun and sky. I thought when doing it Id be in trouble if I ever left the car out in the rain. I was wrong, as long as the solid shade is "closed" no water leaks into the car at all...any that does get in between the panels must hit that panel and run to the sides and out. So I just make sure to always keep it closed and never have issues. What I need advice on is the right type of adhesive for the cloth liner. Its sagging and drives me absolutely nuts! Its my OCD. I thought using spray 3M adhesive but I dont want anything that might "show" through the material and look like crap. Is there a glue or a way to resecure that cloth and have good results that last and dont look bad? I can guess but I feel like I only have one shot because if I sue the wrong stuff, Im stuck with a blotchy shizzy looking roof.

Sorry for my long winded post...too much red bull this morning I guess so forgive me. Also, when I open my roof all the way, it rattles and again annoys my OCD. Its like the glass panels are clacking but that not it. It must be in the track. I can barely reach the glass when driving if I reach back and trying to "stabilize it" with my hand doesnt help the rattle stop. Is there a fix for this????? Also, no rattle at all when opened just a few inches or just in the raised mode.

·
Anti-Hack
4,931 Posts
It's been years so bear with me, my memory of which parts received the following treatment may be off... I'd placed the felt side of Velcro strips on top of the transverse metal support bar that the glass rattles against, so the the glass is cushioned by the felt with slight upward pressure, keeping it snug and not rattling. I'd take pictures for you, but my sunroof doesn't get touched between October and April.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I thought using spray 3M adhesive but I dont want anything that might "show" through the material and look like crap. Is there a glue or a way to resecure that cloth and have good results that last and dont look bad? I can guess but I feel like I only have one shot because if I sue the wrong stuff, Im stuck with a blotchy shizzy looking roof.

I kinda also have the same issue, except no sagging headliner, just the fabric separating from the top portion...I'm just using tape for now.lol. There has to be a better way :rofl:

Sorry for my long winded post...too much red bull this morning I guess so forgive me. Also, when I open my roof all the way, it rattles and again annoys my OCD. Its like the glass panels are clacking but that not it. It must be in the track. I can barely reach the glass when driving if I reach back and trying to "stabilize it" with my hand doesnt help the rattle stop. Is there a fix for this????? Also, no rattle at all when opened just a few inches or just in the raised mode.
no worries, I take a lot of coffee :)
It's hard to diagnose "rattles" over the internet since there's too many possibilities. I would check the condition of your "gates" both rear and front (the good news is the front gate is replaceable w/o dropping the frame...the rear partially, although the triangular wedge is not :( ). Over time, the gates may have stress and fracture points, especially the front gate, and this usually causes some noise. See my sunroof rebuild playlist for more info. I would also try to put the felt strip below the rear glass according to the SIB (any felt works, home depot, etc.) (don't remember what but it's on google, just 3 pieces of felt), though really imo the felt is more of a "patch" and the real issue is a loose part or screw somewhere on the sunroof frame (I don't have the felt strip and no rattles)...you just gotta find that ;)

btw, off topic, but like that biohazard avatar :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no worries, I take a lot of coffee :)
It's hard to diagnose "rattles" over the internet since there's too many possibilities. I would check the condition of your "gates" both rear and front (the good news is the front gate is replaceable w/o dropping the frame...the rear partially, although the triangular wedge is not :( ). Over time, the gates may have stress and fracture points, especially the front gate, and this usually causes some noise. See my sunroof rebuild playlist for more info. I would also try to put the felt strip below the rear glass according to the SIB (any felt works, home depot, etc.) (don't remember what but it's on google, just 3 pieces of felt), though really imo the felt is more of a "patch" and the real issue is a loose part or screw somewhere on the sunroof frame (I don't have the felt strip and no rattles)...you just gotta find that ;)

btw, off topic, but like that biohazard avatar :)
Thank you for the advice....you and Duke both, good stuff that makes sense and will help me. I see my "avatar" in reality no less than 30 times a day being that I work with mad scientists playing with viruses and bacteria all day...its not for everyone but I personally wouldnt want to do anything else. Funny most dont know what it is or thinks its something made up from a video game. Generally speaking, if you see this symbol somewhere, make a 180 degree turn and keep walking LOL!

·
Registered
942 Posts
The headliner material is a foam backed cloth. Over time the foam disintegrates (time/moisture/etc) leaving the cloth sagging. There are fixes:

1. Remove the offending panel, pull back the sagging cloth and lightly spray it and the headliner itself with contact cement. Wait for it to tack up and then reattach. Drawbacks: very likely bleed through of the adhesive resulting in gross spots that look like a biohazard spill as well as creating a hard headliner since there is no foam backing.

2. Use a syringe (I'm sure you have access to some!) and inject a small amount of adhesive at intervals and reattach. Drawbacks: definite bleed through, hard headliner without foam, will most likely result in wrinkles.

3. Remove and replace the offending panels with brand new ones. Drawback: $$$$

4. Have an apholstery shop Re-do the offending panels. Drawback: $$

5. Use pins to hold up the headliner cloth. Drawback: fuggly as hell

6. Live with it. Drawback: OCD exposure therapy on a daily basis

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Q4, I love your list...especially 2-6....and most definitely love 6! I cant have anything anywhere in my car thats not held down or in place. I see people with like trees and beads hanging from mirros just "floating" back and forth and I want to yell out the window at them to take it down. If I hear something sliding back and forth in the back I go ape shXt. Something as small as a pen cap under my seat...if I hear it moving it drives me crazy. I have this awesome fold up insulated type bag system in the hatch area...everything goes in those bags and stays put!

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can fix it, its just a big pain in the @$$. You would have to remove the headliner from the interior and be careful while your doing it. I've done the headliner in my e34, and will soon be doing the headliner in my m3. Its intimidating at first but as long as you are careful and take your time youll be okay. Youtube it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts