BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought '14 528xi which has HUD as an option. The issue that I am having is that, even though I tried everything I know and I searched on this forum and alike, I am unable to get it working.

Here's what I have tried so far,

- Turn it on/off with the HUD switch, when I turn if off the HUD options in iDrive grays out
- Play with heights, brightness and rotation as much as I can but no dice
- Tried looking at the HUD screen to see if there is any light or anything coming out during the night but still don't see anything

Lastly, I wanted to check out the fuse, but the fuse map I got from the trunk dont specifically says what fuse it is for the HUD display.

I only have one key which came with the car and what I read on the forum is that, car needs to be coded to work with HUD, I dont know if that is the how it supposed to work.

If anyone of you has experienced something please let me know what can be the issue.

Thanks.

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

I know but I dont have any warranty left...that is the issue.

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW 535i M-Sport
778 Posts
I know but I dont have any warranty left...that is the issue.
You have a 14 and no warranty ---- you must drive a lot to be over 50,000 miles already.

Go to the coding forum here and take a look - somebody there might have had the same issue.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
HUD issues

So you have you looked at the HUD settings in iDrive?

If you also don't have an Owner's Manual you can download one from this BMW website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

It may be an issue with a setting buried in coding - hope the coding gurus can help you out!

Attachments

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

Yes, I did looked into it. It only gets enable by turning of the HUD switch. Even playing with the setting had no results!

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

You have a 14 and no warranty ---- you must drive a lot to be over 50,000 miles already.

Go to the coding forum here and take a look - somebody there might have had the same issue.
It was the previous owner, I bought it last week only.

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump....anyone to help?

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,220 Posts
Was it working when you had the pre-purchase inspection done? (Surely you didn't buy a 2 year old car with over 50,000 miles without getting it inspected first, right?)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,220 Posts
I'm wondering if the original owner had a cracked windshield and replaced it with a (substantially cheaper) non-HUD version. But again, a PPI would have spotted that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Inside the windscreen there is a diffraction grid (similar to polarized glass). This glass is only made by BMW. I had a windscreen break, when it was replaced by a local auto glass place, they did not get the right glass and then the HUD did not work. Though it took another month, with the correct glass, it worked.

Here is what you can try to debug -

1. start the car at night
2. go outside and look down into the area on the dash where the HUD is located.
3. If you can see lights, or illumination from the screen - the HUD is operational and your windscreen is not the correct one
4. If there is no illumination:
- check the HUD fuse
- triple check all of the setting - focus on the intensity setting
- Last, I am told that when the car is off the HUD 'projector' is tucked away (not sure if this is true) like the powered external rear view mirrors - this could be a problem (that can be seen from outside the car)

All I have on this topic,

C

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Inside the windscreen there is a diffraction grid (similar to polarized glass). This glass is only made by BMW. I had a windscreen break, when it was replaced by a local auto glass place, they did not get the right glass and then the HUD did not work. Though it took another month, with the correct glass, it worked.

Here is what you can try to debug -

1. start the car at night
2. go outside and look down into the area on the dash where the HUD is located.
3. If you can see lights, or illumination from the screen - the HUD is operational and your windscreen is not the correct one
4. If there is no illumination:
- check the HUD fuse
- triple check all of the setting - focus on the intensity setting
- Last, I am told that when the car is off the HUD 'projector' is tucked away (not sure if this is true) like the powered external rear view mirrors - this could be a problem (that can be seen from outside the car)

All I have on this topic,

C
I do see the BMW logo on the windshield and some numbers. However, how do I know if its the indeed HUD windshield? Also, which one is the HUD fuse? in the fuse map, I dont see any mention on the HUD fuse to my knowledge.

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was it working when you had the pre-purchase inspection done? (Surely you didn't buy a 2 year old car with over 50,000 miles without getting it inspected first, right?)
No, I didnt do the PPI but it was my choice so I bite the bullet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is there anything laying on the projector that might block the projection? Like something laying in or covering the hole on the dash?

Sounds obvious but worth a look.
Speaking of obvious - @ OP - I hope you are not wearing Polaroid sunglasses the entire time you have been checking out the HUD! :rolleyes: Especially now that you indicate you are seeing some graphics on the windshield. :eeps:

PS: There does seem to be an OBD code associated with HUD problems: U0158 - Lost Communication With Head Up Display. Maybe get that checked.

·
clutchmaster
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speaking of obvious - @ OP - I hope you are not wearing Polaroid sunglasses the entire time you have been checking out the HUD! :rolleyes: Especially now that you indicate you are seeing some graphics on the windshield. :eeps:

PS: There does seem to be an OBD code associated with HUD problems: U0158 - Lost Communication With Head Up Display. Maybe get that checked.
I am not wearing any glasses but what I meant to say when I mentioned the graphics was, I see BMW emblem and some numbers on the lower driver side corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There are some threads about retrofitting a HUD in to a F10. If you really wanted to deep dive, that retrofit should include all of the connections you can check, wiggle, etc.

But plan on spending a day or two tracking down all of the canbus, kline, and anyother type of comm signal you can think of. If you run the VIN of the car against a bmw vin decoder, did the car come with a HUD?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am not wearing any glasses but what I meant to say when I mentioned the graphics was, I see BMW emblem and some numbers on the lower driver side corner of the windshield.
OK, gotcha. I just looked at my OEM windshield and I do not see any markings whatsoever. I do see the BMW logo on my side glass front and rear so I know what you mean. Not sure what that means for me but my HUD works A-OK. I did turn the car on, and to get a little more info on the HUD screen I started a trip in the Nav system. From outside the car I then looked down into the HUD area on the dash. If you look straight down you do not see anything. You need to tilt your head with your right ear close to the windshield and look toward the front of the HUD screen (way down in the "hole") and you will see the projection screen quite easily. Try that. That could be the clue you need to determine if you have the correct windshield or the system just isn't working.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,220 Posts
Any chance you have the HUD display turned off? Depending on your configuration, this is either a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, or a check box in your iDrive. I find it helpful to turn mine off at times, for example, when driving in fog or swirling snow.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,220 Posts
If you see a BMW logo, you have "a" OE windshield. But is it the CORRECT OE windshield? IIRC there are 4 or 5 versions, depending on whether or not you have HUD, Driver Assistant Plus, etc.

Finally, are you 100% certain your car actually has HUD? Running a VIN decoder would be a good way to check.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.