BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned, sadly, that the X3 plant is closing at the end of April 2013 and will remain closed through some time in 2014 as they retool it. While the plant is closed the PCD will not include a factory tour. :thumbdwn:

Apparently they give you a voucher to come back and do the tour another time, but that's not too helpful for me up here in Philly!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered my car a month ago, and my tentative delivery date there is 9 May-- they warned me at the time they scheduled it that I was going to miss the tour. How long do they keep the plant spun up at such a capacity that it precludes tours? If it's a month at a time, one may well be safe ordering now if you're not getting something built there in Greer.

I was disappointed when I found out, but I drive that stretch of I-85 every other year or so, so at least I'll likely get to use the certificate.

·
Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,735 Posts
They are adding production capacity to accommodate X1 production and will involve much more than retooling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Plant tour closing on apr 29th and reopening in summer (no date specified).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App

·
Takin' Care of Business
205 Posts
Too bad - We're taking delivery of a new X5 at the PCD as soon as it can get built and scheduled. We did take the factory tour when we picked up our current car in '07, but since that one was built in Germany, it wasn't quite the same. I was looking forward to seeing the lines our car came off of.

Oh well, we have relatives in the area, so I'm sure we can reschedule after it reopens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plant tour closing on apr 29th and reopening in summer (no date specified).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Almost right... They will be reopening in Summer of 2014! :mad:

Here is part of the email my CA just received for our recently ordered F30:

=====

Thank you for submitting your recent Performance Center Delivery reservation for Mr. xxxxx xxxxx. Based upon the production number (xxxxxxx) of your customer's vehicle, the earliest available date for Performance Center Delivery is 6/13/2013, your customer would arrive the evening prior.

Unfortunately a tour of BMW Manufacturing will not be available during your customer's Performance Center Delivery experience. Due to new model production, BMW Manufacturing will not offer public tours effective April 29, 2013. We expect public tours to resume early summer 2014. A bulletin announcing details about the re-introduction of tours will be released when timeframes are known. Your customer will receive a certificate at delivery allowing them to schedule a factory tour at a later date, once the public tours resume.

Due to the high volume of reservation request we receive we are only able to hold this tentative delivery date for 3 business days. This tentative delivery date may be released and given to another client if we have not received a response from you within 3 business days of the date of this email.

=====

I'm not happy about this but I guess we have no choice. We are pretty bummed.

·
Super Bayern!
348 Posts
I wonder if they will still send you pictures of your car at various points along the way in the production process?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I spoke with the woman who gives the tours and she said they were all laid off. They were contract employees, so it could be while before they start again, glad I went twice in the last 6 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts