BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - tried to search and didn***8217;t seem to find anything.

When I brake the blower for my heat slow down dramatically.

Is this an electrical
Issue? I have read some comments on other forums that suggest it might be a battery issue.

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
You don't say year and mileage, but the blower wears out. My '07 was replaced at 95K. When I pulled it out it was rusted and the plastic squirrel cage was brittle. So, it could simply be that the unit has worn out.

Fan and controller (the "resistor" as some call it) were pretty cheap. Replacing it was a 3 hour job. So, it could simply be a dying blower assembly.

Note that there is a replacement thread out there that's good but adds an extra hour+ to remove the center console and glove compartment. This isn't necessary, as removing four bolts allow you to shift the console back enough to remove the center dash parts and get to the blower.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply

I have a 2010 535xi Wagon with Spirt trim
- 80k miles.

It seems to blow ok when driving running but definitely drops when at idle or when braking which is strange.

I want he***8217;s a you tub video of the guy pulling out glove box and rest it center console - seemed like a lot so happy to see you comment re getting to it.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts

·
Registered
995 Posts
If I could chime in on this one, it's not necessarily the blower motor. Perhaps it's something to do with decreased voltage at idle and/or while breaking.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If I could chime in on this one, it's not necessarily the blower motor. Perhaps it's something to do with decreased voltage at idle and/or while breaking.
Certainly possible. If so, metering the voltage at various RPM's should give some insight.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Thanks for quick reply

I have a 2010 535xi Wagon with Spirt trim
- 80k miles.

It seems to blow ok when driving running but definitely drops when at idle or when braking which is strange.

I want he's a you tub video of the guy pulling out glove box and rest it center console - seemed like a lot so happy to see you comment re getting to it.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts
There's a how-to on Pelican (?) or similar that's relatively simple -- but it's like doing heart surgery from the back in any case. One trick I found is that the two interior plastic ducts are pretty flexible and can be twisted out, again without removing anything other than the HVAC control pod and entertainment systems assemblies. Fiddly job, but easier than some DIY's suggest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very helpful comments

***8220;Oldie***8221; I was wondering about this. How would I check the voltage at idle vs rev ?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts