BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW X7 M50i
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am
Headed back to the office from lunch and I am stuck in traffic during the heat of the day I. Florida. After a few minutes I actually thought the heat turned on in the car because it was so hot. What I realized is the heat was coming from the sunroof and when I say hot it was really hot. There is absolutely no insulation in the sunroof liner. Has anyone else experienced this? I have never experienced this in a car before.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Turn on your AC. : /

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
My Cayenne has the panoramic roof and the sun generates so much heat here in Palm Desert that I have to use the shade when driving in the daytime. The past 3-day average was 115 degrees!

·
Registered
2021 BMW X7 M50i
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Cayenne has the panoramic roof and the sun generates so much heat here in Palm Desert that I have to use the shade when driving in the daytime. The past 3-day average was 115 degrees!
I always have the shade closed. My point is there is no insulation in the shade so the heat comes right through. I am shocked at how much I feel this. My wife even noticed it and she is always cold

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I always have the shade closed. My point is there is no insulation in the shade so the heat comes right through. I am shocked at how much I feel this. My wife even noticed it and she is always cold
It's just that time of year and the sun is closer. Use the shade, turn on the AC, and vent the roof to allow an escape for the hot air. This technique works for me...I close the shade 95%.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So I am
Headed back to the office from lunch and I am stuck in traffic during the heat of the day I. Florida. After a few minutes I actually thought the heat turned on in the car because it was so hot. What I realized is the heat was coming from the sunroof and when I say hot it was really hot. There is absolutely no insulation in the sunroof liner. Has anyone else experienced this? I have never experienced this in a car before.
Have you owned a previous 7 series? How does it compare?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wonder,

you do not have the LED lighting do you?

I wonder if BMW put an IR reflective tint on the LED panels vs non-LED panels.

Otherwise, Huper Optik Ceramic tint, 60%. reflects about 60% infrared radiation. That is a ton (and one of the few tints to actually reflect IR).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have also noticed the increased heat. I have a 750i and in the past have had a 5 series, M5 and 7 series with none of them having the heat issues. The temperature in the car gets so hot my samsung tablet in the back overheats. I've certainly closed the shades and even have the venting option turned on, but it still gets way to hot. I've even noticed when the suns out I can see through the sunroof shade at times.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have also noticed the increased heat. I have a 750i and in the past have had a 5 series, M5 and 7 series with none of them having the heat issues. The temperature in the car gets so hot my samsung tablet in the back overheats. I've certainly closed the shades and even have the venting option turned on, but it still gets way to hot. I've even noticed when the suns out I can see through the sunroof shade at times.
You guys are scaring me now. I do not want to experience this at all! Will be ordering mine in a few months.

Do you have the regular sunroof or the LED one?

·
Registered
2021 BMW X7 M50i
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the led roof. I am probably going to go the tent route and see if that helps

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I am wondering whether this experience is as a result of a greater area of glass, i.e., traditional glass sunroof versus panoramic glass roof. I believe glass absorbs heat (IR light) more so than metal or painted surfaces.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Greenhouse effect plus you're closer to the equator in Florida, that all amplifies the intensity. I know here in CA, it's not as bad, but if you get into triple digits, you can feel it. Just my 2c if you ask me. Also the fact that you have almost the entire length of the roof as glass may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Greenhouse effect plus you're closer to the equator in Florida, that all amplifies the intensity. I know here in CA, it's not as bad, but if you get into triple digits, you can feel it. Just my 2c if you ask me. Also the fact that you have almost the entire length of the roof as glass may have something to do with it.
Location is not relevant for multiple scientific reasons, not worth getting into, lol. But the fact that each owner is seeing an increase in the same location alone would rule that out anyway. This has to be something new to the new glass or the insulation material of the shade.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Location is not relevant for multiple scientific reasons, not worth getting into, lol. But the fact that each owner is seeing an increase in the same location alone would rule that out anyway. This has to be something new to the new glass or the insulation material of the shade.
Ask MythBusters to put it to the test...

·
Registered
2021 BMW X7 M50i
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My pano roof in the S class was just as big but the liner was much thicker than what's on the BMW.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
My pano roof in the S class was just as big but the liner was much thicker than what's on the BMW.
And, perhaps, we now know why! I know my Porsche salesman warned me to use the shade for my Cayenne.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I am
Hi dear, I live in Saudi Arabia and I owned an F30 3 Series with Dakota leather and I had no issues with the leather making my back sweat! however i test drove the new 7 Series with Panoramic roof and Dakota leather and it drove me crazy from the heat! Is yours with Dakotas or Nappas? I placed an order on the car but I made sure to order the Nappa leather with seat ventilation, hopefully this helps

1 - 20 of 36 Posts