Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' 323ia and would like to add heated seats. Has anyone done this? Possible?

Dealer of course said it's not possible due to the wiring harness. True?

Didn't think I would need them but.......:rolleyes:

New to board. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
I am sure that you could add heated seats. It would probably be an expensive mod but I'm sure it can be done as the 3 series pretty much comes wired or prepped for just about every option offered on it. I have heated seats ... regretting now that I got them as I am putting the car up for the Syracuse record snow fall that we have every year and have only used them a handfull of times. If the car wasnt leased I'd give you mine:dunno: :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
3seriesbimmer said:
but I'm sure it can be done as the 3 series pretty much comes wired or prepped for just about every option offered on it.
Oh, so wrong. The 3 series does not come wired for ANYTHING you did not buy on your car. No power seats? No wiring. No heated seats? No wiring. BMWs are built with a fully customized wiring harness that it made specifically for each car. They will not put in any wires for any options the car does not have. The exception for this is on the North American cars, where they pre-wire the cars for CD changers, Alarms and BMW Phones. They still do not wire the car for every imaginable option.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
so i I want that alarm ... I guess I need a new wire harness eh?? ;)

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
DrBimmer said:

Oh, so wrong. The 3 series does not come wired for ANYTHING you did not buy on your car..... They still do not wire the car for every imaginable option.
Can't speak for the 3 series, but I know of 2 individuals who retrofitted heated seats in Z series cars - the wiring was present (albeit well hidden).

Doug

·
Banned
9,903 Posts
DrBimmer said:
Oh, so wrong. The 3 series does not come wired for ANYTHING you did not buy on your car. No power seats? No wiring. No heated seats? No wiring. BMWs are built with a fully customized wiring harness that it made specifically for each car.
Unless you have some actual, "official" data on this, I'm highly skeptical of your claim, based on my own experience, and on basic manufacturing economics.

First of all, I have found wiring connections for a variety of options that I don't have on my car, and are not even available in the US at all. In particular, the wiring and connectors for the convertible alarm motion sensors is there (I'm using it), and these sensors are not available in the US, nor are they "legal" (violate FCC regs).

It would be insane to make customized wiring harnesses for each vehicle. Virtually all the cost in making a wiring harness is in the labor; it is significantly cheaper to make a single, standard harness that goes in to all cars due to the economies of scale. Also, a standard harness lends itself to development of automated manufacturing machinery/processes, further reducing costs.

Finally, customized harnesses significantly increase the risk of error in both the costruction of the harness as well as the manufacturing process for the car, increasing labor costs, quality assurance costs, and warranty repair costs.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts