Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys. I am losing my mind here. When I got my 93 E36, the heater was not working. The blower works, so I assumed it was the heater core. I replaced it. Nope. Heater blower motor resistor. Nope. Heater control valve. Nope. And the Climate control panel. That didn't do it either. I don't really know what to check now. Could it be the IHKR? I cannot figure out how to remove it even though I have gotten to it..... I would really appreciate any advice anybodies got on this. Winter is coming on.... and the last two were pretty cold...

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
ummm,...so you pretty much have replaced everything in the heater system and *still* not fixed this issue?? :dunno:

first things first. what temp is your guage reading?? get an infra red temp scan gun and take temp readings of the hoses.

report back with findings.

this reply assumes that you have already verified the coolant level is correct....:eeps:

df

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have coolant and it is running well. Replaced the thermostat a few months back as well in hopes that that might be the issue. Nope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still waiting on my thermogun to come in, but I have been popping the hood after drives (some an hour plus) and what I have found is that none of the three tubes going from the heater control valve appear to have heater up at all.

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
you have verified that the coolant level is correct and bled?? how's the heat at cruise speed??

if no heat, then i suggest checking the heater core valve for restrictions.

df

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually had the coolant level bled at a mechanic at one point, and also the coolant thermostat maintains correct temperature at cruise. The heater does not put out any warmer air, however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar problem right in my 1997 318i, I checked the heater control valve and it was functioning properly. Recently replaced the thermostat and water pump, and properly bled the coolant to prevent air lock. Flushed water through the heater core (both sides) and came up with no blockages. The car will heat up after running for a while ( water convection) but there is no hot water flowing into the heater control valve when the car is at normal (temp at 90'). Can't figure it out, did you ever find out what the problem was? I"m totally baffled!?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah, I'm still working on it. How did you check the control valve? I know mine is good, but I want to check and make sure it's getting input.

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
Could you explain that a little? Is the heater core valve the same as the heater control valve?
no, the heater core is in the cabin, under the dash in the hvac box.

I have a similar problem right in my 1997 318i, I checked the heater control valve and it was functioning properly. Recently replaced the thermostat and water pump, and properly bled the coolant to prevent air lock. Flushed water through the heater core (both sides) and came up with no blockages. The car will heat up after running for a while ( water convection) but there is no hot water flowing into the heater control valve when the car is at normal (temp at 90'). Can't figure it out, did you ever find out what the problem was? I"m totally baffled!?
how did you verify the proper operation of the heater control valve and heater core??:dunno: your statement would be impossible if your system was properly bled and full.

color me confused....:dunno:

df

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Ken can probably confirm this as he's far more familiar with the I4 engine than I am I believe but the coolant going to the heater control valve comes out of the end of the plastic manifold that fastens to the engine block. Item 1 in this diagram.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E...96/browse/engine/engine_block_mounting_parts/

If you've got a blockage or restriction there, you won't get flow to the valve so no heat.

To test the heat control valve you can remove it and apply 12V to pin 1. The other two pins go to the solenoid that controls the two valves in the unit. Ground them one at a time and blow through the valve from the lower center hose connection and ensure you get air coming out one of the two top hose connections.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts