Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
~ For a Better Tomorrow ~
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I noticed that my heating and AC fan speed is very limited. Until it is passed 3-4 bars, it isn't a strong wind speed. My car is fairly new, not sure if this is a mfg defect or not... given our X3 is the same. It does heat and cool good enough.... Is it possible BMW fan speeds are much lower than my previous cars? haha I know it is a strange hypothesis but compared to my Lexus, the fan speeds are stupid weak.

I have a mfg warranty still in effect, so I was considering taking it in but wanted your personal expertise first. Thanks guys

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
No, the IHKA HVAC blower is not weak. It is a squirrel cage blower and not a fan with blades.

YOU have no direct way to detect the blower air pressure / velocity, ONLY the velocity after the flappers convert the blower pressure to velocity.

The IHKA blower Final Stage Unit is ordered blower speed by a PWM signal from the IHKA module and will cause a DTC error if actual speed is different from ordered speed.

IHKA is not intended or designed to make a blast of air but to quietly dehumidify cabin air at the set cabin temperature. The IHKA should be in AUTO toggled to SOFT, MEDIUM or INTENSIVE with the AC compressor enabled - snowflake icon button lighted.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
No. I believe that you are describing a feature and not a bug. www.NewTIS.info has IHKA capacity test that sets standard conditions and observes a specified cooldown in specified time.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
Is the fan speed set to highest when in Auto mode?
No. AUTO toggles through IHKA programs SOFT / MEDIUM / INTENSIVE. Overriding blower speed will disable AUTO.

The IHKA program sets flapper positions - 13 of them in my X5. The flappers act as nozzle orifices that convert blower pressure to velocity that you may hear.

In the cold morning I may toggle to INTENSIVE and the blower speed indication may go to many bars - until cabin set temperature is reached and then indicated blower speed goes down to a few bars, two.

After a cold ferry ride our breaths will have condensed on the inside of the windshield. On starting the X5 the condensation detector will go to MAX, to highest blower speed and all flappers shut except at the base of the windshield (and you CAN hear the ROAR). A fogged window is considered a safety issue and the car will do what it can to demist the windshield.

·
Registered
353 Posts
don't think the fans in general are week, but the a/c cooling is sure weak.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,449 Posts
BMW NewTIS A/C Performance Test

don't think the fans in general are week, but the a/c cooling is sure weak.
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW F36 430i Coupe / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test

“[ ... ]
After 5 min, measure both ventilation temperatures with a thermometer at the same time (centre, left and right fresh air grille). The measured temperature must be [ ]16°C [or less] and the difference between right and left may not be greater than 2°C.

If one or both temperature specifications is not reached drain off heating and air conditioning system. Measure the amount of refrigerant drawn off and compare with the nominal fill amount.

Check whether refrigerant loss is present:

If there is a permissible loss of refrigerant, fill the refrigerant circuit with the nominal fill amount.
If there is an impermissible loss of refrigerant, check the refrigerant circuit for tightness. After rectifying the leak, fill the refrigerant circuit with the nominal fill amount.
If there is no refrigerant loss, continue troubleshooting using the pressure measurement (only possible for vehicles with unregulated air conditioning compressor up to series E46/E53).”

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...tioning/64-50-air-conditioning-check/GbGkqA9N

1 - 11 of 11 Posts