BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the gas station today picking up a bottle of coolant (my water pump is on the fritz!). I noticed a jug of anti freeze marked as "Heavy Duty" and it looks like the liquid is not the usual flourescent green but purple. The station attendant says that its made for deisel cars. First I've heard of it! Anyways, aren't coolants all the same? Does deisel engines have a special blend of coolant that they use? My husband's H1 uses the regular green fluid. Can someone please enlighten me! Thanks y'all! ;)

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Noooooo. All coolants are NOT the same. You should be using BMW coolant.

From Pelican Parts http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Coolant_Flush/E36-Coolant-Flush.htm:

I'm sure one question you're about to ask is "what type of coolant should I use?" BMW has issued a 1991 technical bulletin, 17 01 88(1743), which details problems with what is known as silicate gel precipitation in engines. This is the 'green goo' (yes, it actually says that in the BMW Tech bulletin - gotta love those German translators) that results as a consequence of an antifreeze over-concentration in the coolant, combined with hard water, and the phospates commonly used in many antifreezes. BMW factory antifreeze has been formulated to prevent this problem of silicate drop-out without any coolant performance loss. This antifreeze contains no nitrites and no phosphates. The part number for a one gallon container is 88-88-6-900-316, and it costs about $13.00 per gallon. Although I am always eager to find alternatives to BMW factory products, I would stick with the factory coolant for now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
R U ****TING ME, they got coolants just for BMW's my coolant is low will the BMW dealership hold it? most dealerships dont have parts and stuffz for older bmw's are the newer BMW's using he same coolant as older BMWs

o ya and are there any other things that i should do especially for BMW and not get from that gas station, washer fluid lol don't tell me BMW has a special washer fluid?

and chad i think you are too late to be the saviour

·
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord
6,521 Posts
I was at the gas station today picking up a bottle of coolant (my water pump is on the fritz!). I noticed a jug of anti freeze marked as "Heavy Duty" and it looks like the liquid is not the usual flourescent green but purple. The station attendant says that its made for deisel cars. First I've heard of it! Anyways, aren't coolants all the same? Does deisel engines have a special blend of coolant that they use? My husband's H1 uses the regular green fluid. Can someone please enlighten me! Thanks y'all! ;)
yeah man if its for your bimmer definitely hand down positively you have to use BMW coolant. their coolant is blue-ish and its made for aluminum blocks and stuff(which BMW's have) so yeah...

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah man if its for your bimmer definitely hand down positively you have to use BMW coolant. their coolant is blue-ish and its made for aluminum blocks and stuff(which BMW's have) so yeah...
Funny cause before we took delivery of the car, my husband took it to the stealership for an Inspection II. They did something to the cooling system that made them have to top it off. I noticed that the coolant that they used was flourescent green kind! I check my fluid levels atleast once a week (since I've had this car) and like I said, the dealer used that green shiite!

·
6,521 Posts
really!? that's weird...cuz i buy BMW coolant from the dealer and im pretty positive its blue....i mean dont get me wrong, im not calling you a liar, but.....yeah its blue.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
BMW should NOT be using green coolant. Should be blue, or in some cases I think red works as well.

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really!? that's weird...cuz i buy BMW coolant from the dealer and im pretty positive its blue....i mean dont get me wrong, im not calling you a liar, but.....yeah its blue.
Brian Jessel BMW is the place that we took my car to. Ill call the service manager in the morning and ask which brand coolant they put in my car. Im actually ticked off now! ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Right now my car has a Prestone nitrites phosphates free in it. I will say I am very on top of coolant changes though 10k is a long time for me. My wife drives a SVT Contour with around 120k on it and has yet to blow a head gaset... this is saying something for though that don't know this car

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
no....red is for GENERAL MOTORS (or so they call them that)...
Nope. ;) Pink is GM DexSh*t DexCool. Red is often Toyota, but I believe it's a very similar formula and achieves the same goal. I thought I'd seen some Red BMW coolant but I could be wrong. Either way, I think it's compatible (but don't mix them) in the system.

·
6,521 Posts
Nope. ;) Pink is GM DexSh*t DexCool. Red is often Toyota, but I believe it's a very similar formula and achieves the same goal. I thought I'd seen some Red BMW coolant but I could be wrong. Either way, I think it's compatible (but don't mix them) in the system.
see i classify coolant into 3 categories.

1: The Red Stuff -which is :red, orange, PINK, and whatever has a reddish tint....maybe brown if there is any...and that goes into GM and lower value cars....like Toyota

2: The Green Stuff - which is green and greenish tints and used on higher end European cars....like Peugeot for example

3: Then there's the dealer stuff - which is supposedly "you have to use this coolant ONLY" kind of coolant... which is Blue for BMW and Audi has green but their green is "special". and Mercedes uses a "pee" brown coolant but once again "special"

so yeah....there's my views on coolant...

·
Registered
206 Posts
learn something new everyday thanks for teh important info, Mona B a lawsuit in order?,

P.S my BMW was bought in Vancouver about 16 years ago lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used prestone phosphate/nitrate free. When I got my car it already had green stuff in it. I replaced the water pump/radiator/ thermostat and housing and had NOTHING to indicate a problem. The pelican parts picture shows the effects of electrolysis from a VERY neglected cooling system. Just use a phosphate/nitrate free deal with distilled water and you'll be fine.... Change it on a regular basis, too!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bullsh!t. Almost as much hysteria over coolant as oil. Ethylene glycol, AOT additives, Nitrate & phosphate free. Readily available.

From BMW's TECHDRIVE volume 3 Number 2, May 2006 "A publication for independent BMW service professionals":

Coolant
BMW is fairly liberal on coolant use, requiring only that all cooling systems be filled with a "reputable brand name ethylene glycol long term antifreeze having corrosion inhibitors that are compatible with aluminum radiators"...

The exclusively formulated antifreeze that BMW specifies & makes available through its dealerships' parts department is an ethylene glycol based, silicated OAT (organic acid technology) formula, which contains no nitrates or phosphates, and has been chemically designed to prevent excessive silicate drop out. Also, the silicates leave an anti-corrosive coating on metal that remains even if the coolant level should be allowed to drop...

It goes on, summary:

50% mix, max 60% for severely cold climates to -65degF
Use only distilled or deionized water
BMW does not approve of any coolant additives, including those intended to improve corrosion resistance or seal minor leaks

Long story short, any ethylene glycol anti freeze with AOT corrosion inhibitors, phosphate & nitrate free. This is not magic, BMW's specs are nothing special. Their blue coolant meets the spec (obviously), but it's one of many.

Dex-Cool meets the spec, they have since offered another grade G-05 that meets it as well.
http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/automaker.asp

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Bullsh!t. Almost as much hysteria over coolant as oil. Ethylene glycol, AOT additives, Nitrate & phosphate free. Readily available.

From BMW's TECHDRIVE volume 3 Number 2, May 2006 "A publication for independent BMW service professionals":

Coolant
BMW is fairly liberal on coolant use, requiring only that all cooling systems be filled with a "reputable brand name ethylene glycol long term antifreeze having corrosion inhibitors that are compatible with aluminum radiators"...

The exclusively formulated antifreeze that BMW specifies & makes available through its dealerships' parts department is an ethylene glycol based, silicated OAT (organic acid technology) formula, which contains no nitrates or phosphates, and has been chemically designed to prevent excessive silicate drop out. Also, the silicates leave an anti-corrosive coating on metal that remains even if the coolant level should be allowed to drop...

It goes on, summary:

50% mix, max 60% for severely cold climates to -65degF
Use only distilled or deionized water
BMW does not approve of any coolant additives, including those intended to improve corrosion resistance or seal minor leaks

Long story short, any ethylene glycol anti freeze with AOT corrosion inhibitors, phosphate & nitrate free. This is not magic, BMW's specs are nothing special. Their blue coolant meets the spec (obviously), but it's one of many.

Dex-Cool meets the spec, they have since offered another grade G-05 that meets it as well.
http://www.valvoline.com/zerex/automaker.asp
CJH, The problem here is that the "green stuff" that nearly everyone buys from the auto store to top off is NOT phosphate free.

Also, DexCool is a miserable product. Doesn't like plastics or seals. And, it only works if everything is perfect. If someone who is not up on their maintenance like they should be lets it get low, it doesn't coat like other products and can allow corrosion. Yeah, people shouldn't let it get to that point, but they do.

Best way to put it is just stick with BMW spec.

·
That'll buff right out
436 Posts
Pink is actually Mercedes Benz, it will do in for BMW in a pinch (if you pour them in a glass the pink and red look different side by side.) The next best thing (strictly chemically speaking) is Zerex G-05 (not the regular Zerex mix.)

DON'T mix them is correct.

Chevy mechanics who were in the dealerships back when the Dexcool (ne: DEATHcool) came out were responsible for many dealerships buying many engines. It was so dubbed when the "use up what we have left of the old stuff" was mixed into newer engines.
I am not seeing anyone emphasize enough....

NEVER, EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GM DEXCOOL (OR ITS AFTERMARKET VERSION) WITH OTHER COOLANTS, there is a very high chance of irreversibly turning the entire mixture into a gel that cannot be pumped through the radiator or cooling jacket.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
DexCool looks orangish/pinkish too. Pink is also Audi/VW.

And yeah, our Silhouette had some DexSh*t issues. Damaged the intake mani and had to replace it and the whole cooling system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts