BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week after ordering my 335i coupe over the internet from a dealership exactly 2481 miles away, I realized I didn't even test drove one... i parted with my last BMW (european 318 coupe) in 1998 and didn't drive a bimmer since. Now how [email protected]#$ing crazy is that? Probably I'm the only one that has done that, and I can make up some (not really pertinent) excuses that I did sit in one :thumbup: at the NY autoshow few weeks back and that I'm really busy and so on and on and on... but neh, it doesn't count when you spend 50k on a commodity. I guess my IQ dropped about 140 points when ordering the car blindly. But hey, what do I know, maybe it's like in some arranged marriages and it's better to just be extremely surprised when the day comes.

So, just trying to find some soulmates into stupidity - did anybody else order their BMW without even testdriving one?

:confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
yep.... ordered mine ED when the car wasn't even out here yet... i knew it'd be a powerful car and saw the spyshots.... i had ordered it then few weeks later when the cars started showing up on the dealer's lots i went down and my SA just threw me the keys and said have fun.... and i took it for a spin.... it was awesome specially since the SA just gave me the keys i coulda easily just drove off w/ it.... and got a 2 for 1 deal... now how stupid is that that i returned it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
i'm sure nonamerequired has seen the pics, read the reviews, seen it in person and hell even sat in it at the NY autoshow.... speaking of which, how cool was that to see those e92 M3s there and the BMW CS... :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
never test drove it, as the coupes (at the time) were very rare to be sitting on a dealer lot. drove a sedan, though, and i knew the coupe would be even better (for my needs). you're not crazy. you just know what to expect from bmw, and it's all good....

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sat in all of them... except for the cs of course :mad:

i'm sure nonamerequired has seen the pics, read the reviews, seen it in person and hell even sat in it at the NY autoshow.... speaking of which, how cool was that to see those e92 M3s there and the BMW CS... :)

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
So, just trying to find some soulmates into stupidity - did anybody else order their BMW without even testdriving one?
Yup, count me in. My story:

My lease was up on my '04 TL in August and I was lusting after an E93. Figured I'd just take my time, find a good deal, bond with a dealer, go for a test drive, the usual. Lurked on BF and realized that the car was on strict allocation, sold out completely in my neck of the woods.

In a panic and running out of time, I called every BMW dealer from Maine to New York looking for an E93 before the summer ended and was basically laughed at. Was told that no one had one on the lot and that each dealer was only allocated one or two cars tops until Spring 2008. Well, all that hard cold-calling paid off as someone in Boston cancelled their 328i convertible just two days before it was going to hit the assembly line. Coincidentally, the guy who cancelled belonged to the dealer that I'd spoken to only a day before. He put 2 and 2 together, called me over the phone, and said if I gave him a $500 deposit on a credit card that I'd be in my convertible by September. The only caveat? I'd have to build the car over the phone and couldn't test drive one. I knew exactly what I wanted feature-wise, we worked out a price, and that was that.

The next week, I decided that I should at least drive an E92 328i to simulate what my car might feel like. I was very happy to see that the 230 HP engine was faster than my TL's 270 HP engine and the handling was stellar.

So, you're not alone. Circumstances last summer dictated that I couldn't even gaze upon a real E93 let alone touch or drive one. The first in-the-flesh E93 I ever saw was mine. I hadn't driven a BMW product since 1986 either; just had blind faith in the brand and past experiences in my dad's 7 Series.

BJ

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
to the OP. If you are going to do that (order one without a test drive) you could not have picked a better car company to do it with. Honestly no matter what you know the car is going to be a great handler, fast (heck just read some of the reviews) and solid. Come on man you can't go wrong wtih a BMW.

that said even though I had a 2005 4.4 X5 I insisted on driving the 2008 X5 4.8i before I got it. True enough I loved it. However when it came to the 3-series I drove both the 335 and the 328i and found the 328i to be more of the type of car I wanted at the time. That is why you test drive, you may be getting too much "car" for your needs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One week after ordering my 335i coupe over the internet from a dealership exactly 2481 miles away, I realized I didn't even test drove one... i parted with my last BMW (european 318 coupe) in 1998 and didn't drive a bimmer since. Now how [email protected]#$ing crazy is that? Probably I'm the only one that has done that, and I can make up some (not really pertinent) excuses that I did sit in one :thumbup: at the NY autoshow few weeks back and that I'm really busy and so on and on and on... but neh, it doesn't count when you spend 50k on a commodity. I guess my IQ dropped about 140 points when ordering the car blindly. But hey, what do I know, maybe it's like in some arranged marriages and it's better to just be extremely surprised when the day comes.

:confused:
umm... My first 05 330ci.. I walked in and got it.. no test drive...
I had my reasons.. but didn't really care about the test drive.. at least at that time.. :eek:

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey windsor. nah, don't think i'm getting too much car (probably a stupid statement without the test drive). but i'm getting the manual transmission so i can do some track time and for that the 328 is sort of just decent. having had a 4 cylinder 318i with only little more than 100 ponnies in the past, 300hp seems adeguate considering the weigth increases.

unrelated, i love the style of the x5, but also needed a 7 seater, and the rear seats in the X5 are not useful if you have legs :mad:

to the OP. If you are going to do that (order one without a test drive) you could not have picked a better car company to do it with. Honestly no matter what you know the car is going to be a great handler, fast (heck just read some of the reviews) and solid. Come on man you can't go wrong wtih a BMW.

that said even though I had a 2005 4.4 X5 I insisted on driving the 2008 X5 4.8i before I got it. True enough I loved it. However when it came to the 3-series I drove both the 335 and the 328i and found the 328i to be more of the type of car I wanted at the time. That is why you test drive, you may be getting too much "car" for your needs.

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice answer, BJ, i do not feel alone anymore... :p But man, put your stuff together before other festers see you've drove TLs in the past, they'll eat you alive and it's going to be cause some serious damage to status :bawling:

Yup, count me in. My story:

My lease was up on my '04 TL in August and I was lusting after an E93. Figured I'd just take my time, find a good deal, bond with a dealer, go for a test drive, the usual. Lurked on BF and realized that the car was on strict allocation, sold out completely in my neck of the woods.

In a panic and running out of time, I called every BMW dealer from Maine to New York looking for an E93 before the summer ended and was basically laughed at. Was told that no one had one on the lot and that each dealer was only allocated one or two cars tops until Spring 2008. Well, all that hard cold-calling paid off as someone in Boston cancelled their 328i convertible just two days before it was going to hit the assembly line. Coincidentally, the guy who cancelled belonged to the dealer that I'd spoken to only a day before. He put 2 and 2 together, called me over the phone, and said if I gave him a $500 deposit on a credit card that I'd be in my convertible by September. The only caveat? I'd have to build the car over the phone and couldn't test drive one. I knew exactly what I wanted feature-wise, we worked out a price, and that was that.

The next week, I decided that I should at least drive an E92 328i to simulate what my car might feel like. I was very happy to see that the 230 HP engine was faster than my TL's 270 HP engine and the handling was stellar.

So, you're not alone. Circumstances last summer dictated that I couldn't even gaze upon a real E93 let alone touch or drive one. The first in-the-flesh E93 I ever saw was mine. I hadn't driven a BMW product since 1986 either; just had blind faith in the brand and past experiences in my dad's 7 Series.

BJ

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
nice answer, BJ, i do not feel alone anymore... But man, put your stuff together before other festers see you've drove TLs in the past, they'll eat you alive and it's going to be cause some serious damage to status
Oh, not to worry. That stuff's already public knowledge, and it's something I'm proud of in fact.

The years of buying off-lease Acura products was when I was a new father and had 3 little kids, all under 6 years old. Needed a four-door car for all the car seats and wanted to keep the price low so we could put our money towards investments. Now I've got a McMansion, a Maine beach house, a Rolex collection, a trophy wife, trophy kids, chunky 401k's, tax sheltered 529's, healthy positions in funds, and a BMW hardtop convertible. It's all good.

BJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered my 335I Coupe without ever seeing it or even doing any research on it. I knew it would be turbocharged and I knew it would be faster that my 330ci but that was all. I received mine off of the first load of cars that was delivered to the dealership. When I went to pick the car up, the young "get-ready" guy was performing the final wipe down of the car. I inquired to him as to how did the 335's run and his reply was that he felt the car was faster than the current M-3 (still debatable with both in stock form). As you can guess, I was pleaseantly surprised to hear his comment and have been very happy with the performance of my wife's car ever since.

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:typing: sigh of relief... didn't want to see an onslaught on your marquee

Oh, not to worry. That stuff's already public knowledge, and it's something I'm proud of in fact.

The years of buying off-lease Acura products was when I was a new father and had 3 little kids, all under 6 years old. Needed a four-door car for all the car seats and wanted to keep the price low so we could put our money towards investments. Now I've got a McMansion, a Maine beach house, a Rolex collection, a trophy wife, trophy kids, chunky 401k's, tax sheltered 529's, healthy positions in funds, and a BMW hardtop convertible. It's all good.

BJ

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, you didn't have the choice of driving one cause there were none available for test drive... but it would have taken me 10 minutes to go to the local dealer to test drive one, and still didn't do it, that's inexcusable in retrospect.

I ordered my 335I Coupe without ever seeing it or even doing any research on it. I knew it would be turbocharged and I knew it would be faster that my 330ci but that was all. I received mine off of the first load of cars that was delivered to the dealership. When I went to pick the car up, the young "get-ready" guy was performing the final wipe down of the car. I inquired to him as to how did the 335's run and his reply was that he felt the car was faster than the current M-3 (still debatable with both in stock form). As you can guess, I was pleaseantly surprised to hear his comment and have been very happy with the performance of my wife's car ever since.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did not test drive it, and it's my first BMW. Nor that I ever drove another BMW...

I did a lot of readings on tests and reviews and I knew what to expect....but the car really exceeded my expectations....

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm, brava, i see that we share the same ethnic background. and the situation in romania is that no dealer would allow to test a 40k euro car for free

I did not test drive it, and it's my first BMW. Nor that I ever drove another BMW...

I did a lot of readings on tests and reviews and I knew what to expect....but the car really exceeded my expectations....

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

BJ
I see your 5 Series are tax sheltered (I've never seen a 529 - I don't think they sell those my area). Is your 428i tax sheltered as well?.
:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yes I purchased mine without any test drive. I started my purchase in June of '07. The 535i had been out for a while but only with the auto trans. Production didn't start on the manual trans until September and the order for the manual wouldn't go through until some time in July. I had been offered a test drive in June, but with no manual transmission 535i to drive, I couldn't see the point. I had never owned a bimmer but I drove one ONCE. That was enough.
The bottom line was, I didn't need a test drive to figure out if I wanted a BMW. I already knew that. They didn't have to do anything to SELL me a car. I walked in and just bought it.
Needless to say, I am not disappointed. :thumbup:

dj

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
I see your 5 Series are tax sheltered (I've never seen a 529 - I don't think they sell those my area). Is your 428i tax sheltered as well?.
LOL. It's a points program for our credit card. Instead of building up miles or points for travel or gifts, we put it into college funds for each of our three kids. We don't use an ATM card or checks. We just put everything onto our Fidelity 529i and pay it off at the end of each month.

BJ

1 - 20 of 31 Posts