BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sheer Driving Pleasure
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have an issue where I start the car in the morning - Starts fine then when I switch it off and on again the battery is flat showing up on the iDrive 'high battery discharge' and all the lights on dash for transmission are on - with a boost - all is ok again, i'd appreciate some help in this as its making me get to work late :(:(

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Could be an old battery.

·
Sheer Driving Pleasure
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ACOSTE

Battery is new - looks like theres a high rate of battery discharge - thats what it says sometimes on the dash where the iDrive is.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Every time when the starter is engaged the computer measures the voltage dip on the battery and that's how it guesses the state of charge of the battery. So if this is a new one, something is really draining it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Was the battery programmed/registered to the car? I have read that not registering a battery after new installation on these cars is basically battery suicide.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You must make sure the new battery is the same as the old one meaning FLA to FLA or AGM to AMG unless you have a laptop or Carly to reprogram and register the battery. The car needs to know the type of battery you are using so it can charge it accordingly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I doubt it's the alternator. I've had my battery and the alternator replaced and still have the same issue. What's weird is that there are stretches of time - months where there is no problems. And then out of the blue it starts happening - almost daily - and after a week or so it's good again for months. I gave up trying to figure it out. My guess is that one of the Comfort Access components is flaky and acts up once in a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had same problem on my 550 08. First changed battery, didn't help, then disconnected IBS, didn't help. Replaced voltage regulator and it didn't come up anymore. But then the alternator went out. I also had my alternator tested and they said it was fine. Turns out it wasn't. Replaced alternator and no issues ever. Sometimes when I'm charging my phone and a friends phone it says charging system malfunction. But that has only happened twice. Both times charging two phones from cig lighter. Honestly man, check if it's saying increased discharge IMO, it means battery isn't getting proper charge and is always low so it gives that warning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts