BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, im a long term browser of this forum and sorry my intruductory post has to be a question. im also a regualar on e36coupe, so hello to anyone who knows me from over there (same user name)

My car (e36 318is m44) went for MOT yesterday and failed on emisons

Took the car for MOT yesterday, everything was fine apart from the emissions. it failed on the fast idle. the carbon monoxide leves is to high. 8.51 and it should be maximum 0.3. also the hydrocarbons are at approx 340 and the maximum is 200. my lambda sensor was also out of range - operatin at 0.7. (it should be between 0.97 and 1.03)

Plugged the car into a diagnostic machine which pointed towards the lambda sensor being knackered (my initial thought aswell). deleted the fault, test drove and it reappeared so i ordered a new lambda sensor. Fitted that yesterday and re-tested the emissions (ableitly on a different machine) but it still failed. (318is - M44) The test results below where before the new lambda were fitted. i dont trust the machine we have at work so havcent put up results although it said COlevel after new lambda was fitted was 0.7 but HC was still to high.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - 318is boy

TEST RESULT BELOW

FAST IDLE TEST

ENGINE SPEED 2715RPM
CO LEVEL = 8.51 MAX 0.3
HC LEVEL = 333 MAX 200
LAMBDA = 0.782

2ND FAST IDLE

ENGINE SPEED 2720RPM
CO LEVEL = 8.51 MAX 0.3
HC LEVEL = 366 MAX 200

NATURAL IDLE TEST

ENGINE SPEED 800RPM
CO LEVEL = 9.76 MAX 0.5

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know if this will help but my car failed emissions too but then I replaced the O2 sensor and it passed.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
you are running waaaaay too rich. too much fuel is getting into the engine somewhere. what year is your vehicle.

any check engine light or codes??

any driveability issues??

i would check the fuel pressure, too high of a pressure would allow too much fuel to enter the cylinders, and may not give any codes or dirveability issues. (suspect a fuel pressure regulator if so)

i would also change the oil before you go to get it checked again, and maybe new plugs.

running this rich, however, could wind up kiling your cat, so you may wish to have that checked for function as well.

df

1 - 4 of 4 Posts