BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my BMW under a year ago. I have a 2002 325i and would like to give it alittle more punch. I don't want to add a whole lot, but can you all give me some ideas on how to increase my HP?
Thanks!!
Nicci
 

·
Tightrope walking
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Nicci said:
I just got my BMW under a year ago. I have a 2002 325i and would like to give it alittle more punch. I don't want to add a whole lot, but can you all give me some ideas on how to increase my HP?
Thanks!!
Nicci
Well, there is really only one realistic way - forced induction. And it doesn't come cheap. You're looking at about $5000 for a superchager that will add about 100 horsepower. If you can install it yourself. There is really nothing else that is even worth the money. Or even get you anything that you can feel. Sure, there may be 10 or even 15 HP out there, but for the price you would pay, it would be hardly worth it.

Or you could sell it and buy a car with a more powerful engine.

I would suggest taking the money you would use to add HP and join the local BMWCCA chapter. Take a car control clinic, autocross it, track it and meet some cool people. You'll enjoy it way more than the vain pursuit of nonexistent horsepower.

And, BTW, welcome to the club! You still have an excellent car, so enjoy it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input ffej =) I know there are things that can gain me a few extra HP here and there and after its all said and done I would be paying a pretty penny =)
I appreciate your feedback!
Nicci
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Theres more you can do than forced induction. You can install a custom air intake, under drive pulley kit, performance exhaust, performance software, etc. Also, your tires make quite a bit of difference as well. Search around the forums. You can find a topic on every single item just listed!
 

·
Tightrope walking
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
MrTex said:
Theres more you can do than forced induction. You can install a custom air intake, under drive pulley kit, performance exhaust, performance software, etc. Also, your tires make quite a bit of difference as well. Search around the forums. You can find a topic on every single item just listed!
You can do all those things, and the only thing that will make a noticeable difference will be lightweight wheels and better tires. The M54 engine is pretty much optimized out of the factory. Dinan, who's advertised numbers are by far the most realistic, advertises gains of 10HP and 12Tq for an investment of over $2000. Granted, those prices are a little inflated, but there really isn't HP to be found for the engine in Nicci's car. The pulley kit will get a few more. People who know a lot more than me pretty much convinced me to sell my 325 and get an M3 because the ROI for HP pursuit on the newer engines just isn't worth it.

Besides, I've had WAY more fun at the track and at Autocross than any HP gain could ever give me. IM(NS)HO, that's a much better investment.
 

·
Keeping it surreal
Joined
·
43,318 Posts
MrTex said:
Theres more you can do than forced induction. You can install a custom air intake, under drive pulley kit, performance exhaust, performance software, etc. Also, your tires make quite a bit of difference as well. Search around the forums. You can find a topic on every single item just listed!
The problem with mods is that their effect is not cumulative....you can spend $2500-$3000 on all the mods you mentioned, and only get about 10-15 *net* RWHP.... not much real-world seat-of-the-pants improvement for your sizeable investment.... BUT, if you like the way it looks, sounds, etc., by all means, go for it. IMHO, the same amount spent on sway bars, a nice set of wheels & tires, and a day or two of driving school will yield a much greater (and ultimately more satisfying) result.

Regards,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
i have noticed that no matter what car people haev they alway want more power....LOL I test drove my car and found it perfect for my driving tatse/style if it was too slow I would not have baught it.... now a mitsubishi lancer that is a slow car...LOL
 

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
ATLBMW said:
i have noticed that no matter what car people haev they alway want more power....LOL I test drove my car and found it perfect for my driving tatse/style if it was too slow I would not have baught it.... now a mitsubishi lancer that is a slow car...LOL
A 325i buyer in the US gets what they can afford, not what they want. If you want a custom exhaust because it sounds better, that I can understand. Still, I never understood the point spending $$$ to add 10hp to a street car. You can't really feel that difference - only a pro driver and a stopwatch will tell you there's been an improvement. Car that you were faster than before you are still faster than, and cars that outran you before will still outrun you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Welcome to the club!

If you really want a "sports car," a 3000+ pound car is not the solution... no matter how many horses you cram under the hood ;o P
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Id rather have a 325i than some crappy dime-a-dozen pontiac :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I feel the same way friend...

The name, the look, the feel... it's all there!

However... If you want to go really fast in a straight line, you'll have to buy a viper. Just make sure you don't try to make any turns! I've lost many good friends this way.
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
GreekNemesis said:
I feel the same way friend...

The name, the look, the feel... it's all there!

However... If you want to go really fast in a straight line, you'll have to buy a viper. Just make sure you don't try to make any turns! I've lost many good friends this way.
Alright, I'll just crank out $80,000 for a Viper. Straight line is right.. I've seen toyota celicas outrunning vipers on twisty tracks because the viper is too heavy and cant corner for crap
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
GreekNemesis said:
hehe, I guess you didn't read my entire post...

I agree with you!

(I was joking)
(me too!) :thumbup:
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
GreekNemesis said:
In all seriousness I was considering buying the new civic si.. I just can't find one anywhere... they're sold out!
Over a 330xi? :confused:
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
GreekNemesis said:
ROFL...

Now I know you have no sense of humor...
sarcasm is hard to assess over the internet.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top