BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

For about a week ago I was not even considering another car. I was a happy camper with my Mazda Xedos 6. So I had lunch with a good friend of mine (we already share a common car history) and he was raving about his 2002 E39 525Tds. Next day I browsed the pipes of the internets and low and behold there was a real nice and shiny E39, 1997 250.000 km Executive, and it was nearby.

I went over there, took a good look at the E39, checked the service history, the service was done by the same BMW dealer from 1997 up to 242K km last summer. It really drove well, and has a silky smooth engine. What an experience!
Although the V6 in the Xedos is not bad at all, this felt a little more refined.

Well, after a long night out (VNV Nation concert) and some discussions and a lot of beer the choice was obvious, next day I said yes to the BMW. It was weekend by that time, so I picked the BMW 2 days later. Now I can call myself a proud owner of a 1997 E39, its color is "Fjord Grau Metallic".

Something about myself, I am a 42 yr old male from the south-east of the Netherlands, I work at a high tech company around here, I also enjoy photography, good food and friends, music and I am also a kind of DIY home audio idiot..;-)
My car model history ranges from Opel, Citroen CX and a Toyota MR2 mkI and lately the Xedos and now the BMW.
I am really surprised that a lot of after market parts are available for the E39. For the Xedos it was hard to get parts or even special stuff and the price was steep.

I will take the BMW to my garage for a check up (make a 'status') and I have some future changes planned, I am already busy with installing a Pioneer P88RS HU in the BMW (luckely I don't have DSP). I love that I could get a 1 DIN replacement faceplate so easily, this helps in realizing future endeavors..;-)
I already have some questions, but I swear to use the stickies and search function first.. :D

I also plan to get the Iphone connected with the BMW with a WiFi OBDII interface, but that is for later. Thats it for now, thank you for your time..

regards,

obi

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Hello and Welcome :hi:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for welcome!

About the MR2, well I had a ' 89 (AW11) T Roof for about 5 years, and used it as daily drive, but that didn't stop me from modifying it. It uses a 1.6 4AGE 16V DOHC about 125 bHp with some slight modifications. The engine was was pretty sophisticated for that time. I tweaked the inlet , put a race filter iso stock filter, lowered the suspension with special springs and put koni's in for shocks. The front already had a factory installed stabilization bar. With a good set of tires and suspension and wheel alignment you can get a high cornering speed, it handles beautifully and steers razor sharp. Al tough a little underpowered for long straits, there are a few cars that can match its cornering speed. It supposed to have Lotus Heritage..
It does not have any electronic aids or safety features, mine did not even have ABS.
And it weighs just a little over 1000kg..

For track use, 'connoisseurs' regard the pre '87 build mk1 MR2's with closed roof (or sunroof) the best choice for track use. Because of a different lateral stiffness which allows more 'play'
in the body then the post '87 models. There is also a big tuning aftermarket available.
The engine is in a way famous in Japan, it was also used in the AE86 and a lot of tuning parts and possibilities are available. In the US the mkI was also available with a supercharged 1.6 version. It delivered about 145BHp. For suspension and brakes there are also alot of options available. I believe in that in the US it is easier to get these parts.

hope this helps..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts