BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to my Z4 (pics!); goodbye to my Z3

Pulled the trigger today. Traded in my '00 Z3 2.3 with just under 55K miles on it, for a Space Gray '05 Z4 3.0i manual with just under 8400 miles, premium pkg., sport pkg., navigation, Xenon, and premium hi-fi. Like it so far! :D

Will post pics after we get through our next winter storm, predicted to hit sometime tomorrow. Thus, the Z4 is going into the garage and the X3 is coming out!

Thanks to everyone on this BB, as it sure helps being able to read up on a prospective vehicle prior to actually purchasing the thing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ep. I did not realize it was the brochure color combo. I do like it very much.

The Space Gray Metallic is very close to the Sterling Gray Metallic. While I was waiting for the paperwork to be completed, a customer drove up in a Sterling Gray Metallic Z4. I happened to be out with the General Sales Manager going over my Z3 when the customer drove up. He pointed the other Z4 out to me as a Sterling Gray Metallic and said the basic difference between it and my Space Gray Metallic is that the former tended to have a blue/gray base whereas mine tended to have a brown/gray base. They definitely show differently, particularly in light.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Pulled the trigger today. Traded in my '00 Z3 2.3 with just under 55K miles on it, for a Space Gray '05 Z4 3.0i manual with just under 8400 miles, premium pkg., sport pkg., navigation, Xenon, and premium hi-fi. Like it so far! :D

Will post pics after we get through our next winter storm, predicted to hit sometime tomorrow. Thus, the Z4 is going into the garage and the X3 is coming out!

Thanks to everyone on this BB, as it sure helps being able to read up on a prospective vehicle prior to actually purchasing the thing. :thumbup:
It's great to be able to find an 05 with such low mileage.

I had an 05 Z4 3.0, it was the last year before the revisions which saw the Si engine, some trim changes and a bit more refinement. I've driven the 06's and while I wouldn't kick it out of the garage, the 05, to me, had a more satisfyingly brutish feel - more like a sports car; it rode a bit rougher, was noisier, but it was fun.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, ep. I did not realize it was the brochure color combo. I do like it very much.

The Space Gray Metallic is very close to the Sterling Gray Metallic. While I was waiting for the paperwork to be completed, a customer drove up in a Sterling Gray Metallic Z4. I happened to be out with the General Sales Manager going over my Z3 when the customer drove up. He pointed the other Z4 out to me as a Sterling Gray Metallic and said the basic difference between it and my Space Gray Metallic is that the former tended to have a blue/gray base whereas mine tended to have a brown/gray base. They definitely show differently, particularly in light.
The sales manager was clueless.

What you have is the sterling gray. Sterling gray was available on the pre-facelifted model from '03~'05.

What he said about the color having a blue/gray base is silver gray. Silver gray was avaiable on the face-lifted Z4's from '06~'07.

The space gray is darker than silver gray, without the blue-ish tinge, and didn't become available on the Z4 until model year 2008.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice choice :)
I have to agree with wlec - funny how some salemen that sell these cars make dumb mistakes - unless you have a late date 05 where they did paint it Space Gray but the color looks just like mine Sterling grey.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to agree with wlec - funny how some salemen that sell these cars make dumb mistakes - unless you have a late date 05 where they did paint it Space Gray but the color looks just like mine Sterling grey.
No late date - build date is March 2005! So, Sterling Gray?

·
Htd Seats = 4-season vert
732 Posts
Congrats! I like the color--whatever it is. Wheels are interesting too. Reminds me vaguely of Countach wheels.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
They never made any space gray in '05. Like I said, space gray didn't become available until the end of '07 for MY08.:thumbup:

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
I likey!! Congrats!!

No plans to change cars here Ill be out in the Z3 2.8l this weekend!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts