BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helemt Graphics Source

I am looking for a source for some helmet graphics. I would like something in the M colors. Something like the flowing M flag for the front fenders of E36s would be great.

Any ideas or sources?

There was a guy selling something on eBay, but his supplier gave him trouble, and then refused to give him the art work.

It looked like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Helemt Graphics Source

Pinecone said:
I am looking for a source for some helmet graphics. I would like something in the M colors. Something like the flowing M flag for the front fenders of E36s would be great.

Any ideas or sources?
Pinecone, somewhere I have a list of sources for helmet graphics. Everything from cheap simple stickers to full-on high dollar custom painting. Of course I can't find it right now, damnit. If I find it, I'll let you know.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
I think that Troy Lee Designs (out of CA, I think) does custom work. :dunno:

At least, they do them for professional motocrossers and road racers ....

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Helemt Graphics Source

clyde325xiT said:

Pinecone, somewhere I have a list of sources for helmet graphics. Everything from cheap simple stickers to full-on high dollar custom painting. Of course I can't find it right now, damnit. If I find it, I'll let you know.
Cool, thanks.

I wonder if there would be enough interest here to have something deisgned nad one in the M colors?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U3S2A5 said:
I think that Troy Lee Designs (out of CA, I think) does custom work. :dunno:

At least, they do them for professional motocrossers and road racers ....
I did know about them. I emailed them for info/quote and never got a response.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Helemt Graphics Source

Pinecone said:

Cool, thanks.

I wonder if there would be enough interest here to have something deisgned nad one in the M colors?
If the price were reasonable and the design tasteful, I'd definitely be interested.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
You guys got me thinking . . .

I have some ideas for helmet graphics, so I'll see what I can dig up for a source here in SoCal. Be interested to see what Clyde comes up with.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Hey Clyde, others . . .

Clyde, how would you print your own? Can you buy the appropriate material that would just print out on a printer?

BTW - Troy Lee designs are EXPENSIVE (like $1K per helmet :yikes: ) I don't need that kind of personalization.

I went to a few graphics places in HB today and here's what I came away with:

- The reason people airbrush is because with the curved surfaces of a helmet, graphics are tough. You need to keep the decals on the small side (per piece) or thin so you don't get wrinkling. Plus with the initial artwork fee, for one helmet it's almost as cheap to have some local guy with an airbrush put something on for you. Add to that the cost of doing multiple colors and the cost goes up a lot.

- I did pitch my idea to one local decal place that understood what I was going for and said they would do a couple of test sheets. Here's where I need some feed back on what you guys would like or could work with. Would you guys prefer:

1) a decal sheet with a pre-arranged pattern in the 3 Motorsport colors, say a sheet of the 3 color checkered flag that you would cut out sections as you desired to place on the helmet (like a stripe around the middle or oval side sections)

2) a decal sheet with pre cut squares, rectangles, parallelagrams, stripes, etc. of the 3 colors to arrange on the helmet piece by piece as you see fit.

3) a plain sheet of each of the 3 colors that you cut out the shape of the pieces as you'd like to create your own pattern

4) other ideas?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would prefer #1. But could live with the other choices.

I do understand the problem with curved surfces.

Any body know which model paints match the 3 M colors? I just got a new airbrush, and maybe I could do my own. :)

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clyde325xiT said:
Well, I found part of my list. There were also a few that don't seem to be working anymore. I know there were others...the search continues.

http://www.bullseyevisual.com/index.asp
http://www.troyleedesigns.com/ (which pinecone said didn't respond to him)
http://www.helmetpainter.com/enter.html

I've also been thinking about doing stickers myself, either with my inkjet or through a commercial printer that owes me some favors. Need to find time to do the design though.
Thanks.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
#1 could be cut into the pattern shown in the pic at the beginning of the thread.

Anybody else with a vote?

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
test sheet

Pinecone, others -

Here is one idea for a test sheet to take to the printer near home. The squares are 1/2" and the solid stripes are a little more than 1" wide.
I did this on an 8.5 x 11" and their decal sheets are 22", so put 2 of these end to end and that is how it would come of the printer.

Any suggestions for modifications? I'll work on a few more test sheets as time permits today.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: test sheet

scottn2retro said:
Pinecone, others -

Here is one idea for a test sheet to take to the printer near home. The squares are 1/2" and the solid stripes are a little more than 1" wide.
I did this on an 8.5 x 11" and their decal sheets are 22", so put 2 of these end to end and that is how it would come of the printer.

Any suggestions for modifications? I'll work on a few more test sheets as time permits today.
Scott,

Do they just give you the squares? I was wondering how they would work on a curved helmet?

The only suggestion/mod would be to make the sqaures flow like the first picture, like squares on a waving flag. I have no idea of what you do to make this look. I have a good eye for what looks good, but none at all on making it happen. :)

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
More on graphics . . .

Pinecone -

I'm not limited to squares. I drew that up, but I can make whatever we can think of. I think the decals above would work okay on a curved helmet because each square is a separate little decal if you will (the white squares are really blanks). What the person would do for that type of pattern is start with a large enough section (I can make the field larger) and cut out and/or patch together the final shape. You could cut out an oval type shape for the side of the helmet, use it as stripes over the top or around the sides. If you cut two polygon sections and then offset them, it may give that wave flag appearance. I threw the long stripes on the sheet to be used as misc. pieces need to be cut or as the stripes themselves.

Here's the design constraints/considerations I'm working with:

1) The way the print shop makes multi-color decals (like the 3 color checkered flag) is they take sections of each color and put them together like making a puzzle. That's what drives the cost way up on multi-color decals. By trying to design things that runs colors horizontally, I help keep the cost down. Also keeping the colors to 3 max. (I may try one 4 colors - black with the ///M 3 color)

2) trying to use designs with small enough sections or thin enough long lines that will work on the curved surfaces of the helmet.

3) starting with designs that will work on white or black helmets

4) trying to create designs that can start on each side of the helmet and wrap around to meet in the back (same color)where they can be cut/adjusted for the size of the helmet.

5) keeping designs simple or 'generic' that can be used/adapted by a lot of people. The design at the beginning of the thread is nice, but it's not what I would use.

The problem is, taste and design are very subjective so coming up with something tasteful, useful by a lot of people is going to prove to be an exercise in frustration. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

The example below would be a sheet of ///M 3 color shapes that could be arranged in any manner the person would like. This sheet would be cheaper to make than the first example.

Attachments

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
another example . . .

Now this would be an example of one that would start on each side of the helmet at the visor and wrap back around the side of the helmet to meet in the back (or whatever else someone would want to use it for).

Also note: After looking at these colors, I think for my next batch of ideas, I'll use a lighter blue and indigo blue instead of violet.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts