BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all~
i'm finally going to track my car..but i just do not know which helmets to purchase?
do you guys have any recommendations??

i was looking at Bell's Sport III, m2 and M3..

any ideas? also, where do you guys get your helmets?

thanks a bunch,
jesse
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
If you can, try them out and buy the most comfortable one. You don't need a fancy helmet, just one that meets the specs you want.

btw, I am not sold on the need for an SA rated helmet in a car WITHOUT roll cage.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:
btw, I am not sold on the need for an SA rated helmet in a car WITHOUT roll cage.
After a lot of reflection, thought and research, I've moved into that camp as well...however, if you're going to attend track events that require SA...
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
xs3x said:

what do you mean by that?:dunno:
SA rated helmets are tested to be resistant to multiple impacts in the SAME place (a certain diameter roll bar, I believe), M helmets tested for multiple impacts in DIFFERENT places.

If you ride in a car with roll cage, you will notice that the harness often holds you in place with your head banging or very close to the roll cage. That is why drivers of caged cars need to use SA helmets, they are held against the cage by the harness.

In a street (uncaged) car, especially with stock belts, I don't think that that your extra money would make a difference...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nate328Ci said:


SA rated helmets are tested to be resistant to multiple impacts in the SAME place (a certain diameter roll bar, I believe), M helmets tested for multiple impacts in DIFFERENT places.

If you ride in a car with roll cage, you will notice that the harness often holds you in place with your head banging or very close to the roll cage. That is why drivers of caged cars need to use SA helmets, they are held against the cage by the harness.

In a street (uncaged) car, especially with stock belts, I don't think that that your extra money would make a difference...
cool..thanks for the detail:thumbup:
 

·
Traffic Surgeon
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
xs3x said:
what made you guys to purchase what you have??

comfort? styling? safety?..etc?
I tried on a bunch of Simpson helmets and actually took a shot in the dark with the Bell. There was a group buy going on so I saved some $ and got the Bell. It actually fits better than the Simpson's did and I like the look better than the Simpson styling. It's also an SA rated helmet although that wasn't one of my reasons for getting it.
 
G

·
Okay, here's a question- M-rated helmets are morocycle rated and are less expensive than the SA-rated (automotive) helmets. So we *could* debate cost/benefit on these helmets and say that M's are good enough. Or we could be logical and say that this item could save our lives and what is a few extra bucks?
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
TD said:
Okay, here's a question- M-rated helmets are morocycle rated and are less expensive than the SA-rated (automotive) helmets. So we *could* debate cost/benefit on these helmets and say that M's are good enough. Or we could be logical and say that this item could save our lives and what is a few extra bucks?
Nice speculation, but you haven't made an arguemnt on why SA helmets are beneficial for cars WITHOUT roll cages.

I guess you could say that they have fire protection, but you aren't wearing a full suit are you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
___lk___ said:
i just got one of these last month :D



...although i'm not dumb enough to take my daily driver to a track, i am dumb enough to take long rides on the sleepy country roads of Southern NJ... :rolleyes:
why do you think its dumb to take your daily driver to track?:dunno:
 

·
fahrer
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
nate328Ci said:


SA rated helmets are tested to be resistant to multiple impacts in the SAME place (a certain diameter roll bar, I believe), M helmets tested for multiple impacts in DIFFERENT places.

If you ride in a car with roll cage, you will notice that the harness often holds you in place with your head banging or very close to the roll cage. That is why drivers of caged cars need to use SA helmets, they are held against the cage by the harness.

In a street (uncaged) car, especially with stock belts, I don't think that that your extra money would make a difference...
Not entirely accurate, but close.

All multiple impact tests are the same, however, SA adds a multiple
impact test with the "roll bar" anvil.

Key differences are:
M - requires a larger field of vision, no roll bar anvil testing.
SA - requires a smaller field of vision, all M plus roll bar anvil testing and fireproofing testing.

There's also some minor difference in the face shield penetration
test - the SA can leave an indentation no greater than 2.5mm
where as the M simply states that the test pellet cannot penetrate
the shield.

My preference is generally to buy the best available, which is
arguably SA - however, having previously raced motorcycles,
I have a very difficult time giving up the increased field of view
afforded by M helmets. (And it doesn't hurt that I've already got
them, so it's a no cost option!)

And having previously binned motorcycles, I have a hard time
believeing that an M rated lid won't perform the same if subjected
to the "roll bar" anvil test.

Fireproofing, of course, is another issue entirely.

To date, I've just worn my M. (Arai)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys..
some guy at DTMpower is selling his almost brand new helmet..but i don't know if its any good or not? its Snell 2000 approved M4?

good buy? :thumbup: or :thumbdwn:

here are the pictures..
?

 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
xs3x said:
hey guys..
some guy at DTMpower is selling his almost brand new helmet..but i don't know if its any good or not? its Snell 2000 approved M4?

good buy? :thumbup: or :thumbdwn:

here are the pictures..
?

Look and fit are your choice. Just get one that meets the specs you need...

Check this place out

http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Closeout/closeout.htm

Good prices on Bell, I bought my helmet there for a great price...
 
G

·
nate328Ci said:


Depends on the organization :dunno:

I've heard of some that require an SA2000, but others will take M90s. Check with your group....
Yup. Our chapter requires SA 98 or better for track. Anything for autox.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top