BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I need to know if a 2006 330xi with 28.5K miles on it asking for $19.5K is a good deal.
No sports package or extended warranty.

It is too good to be true, such LOW miles for the age of the car.
Is it possible to roll back the odometer reading on these cars?

Rear tires are new and front tires changed two months back.......any hints there?

The BMW dealer is charging $268 to inspect the car to let me know if the car has any problem and if the odometer has been rolled back.

Does this make sense? I love 2006 330xi but scared it does not have ext warranty and it is a private party deal.

Should I go for a CPO 2007-2008 328xi with low miles to be on safer bet? How much would be a good price for it?

Your opinion will be helpful for me to decide.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a 4 year old 330xi with the same miles a few years back for $24,000. I had a few months left on the warrantee so I was able to have the dealer check it over for free. He found a rear spring broken and replaced both. If you know of one, I would take it to an independent shop. They will want your business and I suspect they would do the inspection for less money. I think that's a good price for a nice car.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Thanks RAS100.

I was wondering if the mileage can tampered with on these cars.
Anything is possible. Is it likely? Probably not. As an example I sold my 1999 328i (purchased new in December 1998) last August with 35K miles on it. That averaged out to ~3K miles/year. The vehicle you're looking at is averaging about 5,700 miles/year (assuming five years).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sunny. This gives me hope that there are still good genuine BMWs around which needs to be searched.

This car does not have a sports package dont know how much difference does it make in the ride, comfort and $$$ without it.

·
Fresh BMW Enthusiast
101 Posts
Definitely get it checked. And definitely get it checked by a bmw approved service, I would say. Cousin's BMW 320 was checked for around $60 in MTL but there I don't know. Still a bit too pricey. Did you ask around other dealers/services?

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Thanks Sunny. This gives me hope that there are still good genuine BMWs around which needs to be searched.

This car does not have a sports package dont know how much difference does it make in the ride, comfort and $$$ without it.
Given the 330xi lacks the sport suspension found in the 330i model I don't feel the lack of SP is a reason to pass on the vehicle. Some people love the sport seats and steering wheel that the sport package has and consider it a must have but it's not a must have for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given the 330xi lacks the sport suspension found in the 330i model I don't feel the lack of SP is a reason to pass on the vehicle. Some people love the sport seats and steering wheel that the sport package has and consider it a must have but it's not a must have for me.
I am not a great fan of the SP steering wheel. I like the regular steering wheel somehow.
Thanks for your input sunny5280.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely get it checked. And definitely get it checked by a bmw approved service, I would say. Cousin's BMW 320 was checked for around $60 in MTL but there I don't know. Still a bit too pricey. Did you ask around other dealers/services?
I checked with another BMW dealer they are quoting $295 just for the inspection.
They wont even offer me ext warranty if I want to buy one for this car.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
My 1999 328i did not have the sports package and after that I realized how big of a deal it was to me personally. That being said, all it is is a matter of preference, some people don't care, some people straight up prefer not to have it. At the same time... I prefer Rear wheel drive cars and took forever to find my car because everything I found was an XI, so I wouldn't worry about the sports package.

Price seems fair, I just picked up a 2006 330i for a little over 17K, but it has more miles than you.

As far as low mileage goes ... I bought my 2004 330CI with 37.5K on it and sold it 2.5 years later w/ 49K on it so I don't think it's that uncommon. I just live close to work and carpool every other day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 1999 328i did not have the sports package and after that I realized how big of a deal it was to me personally. That being said, all it is is a matter of preference, some people don't care, some people straight up prefer not to have it. At the same time... I prefer Rear wheel drive cars and took forever to find my car because everything I found was an XI, so I wouldn't worry about the sports package.

Price seems fair, I just picked up a 2006 330i for a little over 17K, but it has more miles than you.

As far as low mileage goes ... I bought my 2004 330CI with 37.5K on it and sold it 2.5 years later w/ 49K on it so I don't think it's that uncommon. I just live close to work and carpool every other day.
What were you missing since it did not have a sports package?

Why do people prefer 330i over 330xi? What advantage RWD have over AWD?

I will do a research on the subject on the other forums threads as well.

Guys I really appreciate your inputs.

I just dont want to make a mistake of buying a wrong BMW.
I always wanted to buy a BWM. I want it to be the best experience.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
For most people it's the "feel" of the car, and the performance benefits associated with RWD.

If I wanted AWD I would've bought an Audi, but many people here love the X-drive system, and it's certainly not a bad drivetrain.
The current AWD 328i is about 250 pounds heavier, over 1/2 second slower 0~60 and burns about 10% more gas than the FWD.

I've done quite well in MD with either dedicated snow tires or even (cough!) all-seasons on RWD BMWs in MD, so I doubt you'll really need AWD in NJ.

Tom

·
I do my crosswords in pen
1,925 Posts
The current AWD 328i is about 250 pounds heavier, over 1/2 second slower 0~60 and burns about 10% more gas than the FWD.

I've done quite well in MD with either dedicated snow tires or even (cough!) all-seasons on RWD BMWs in MD, so I doubt you'll really need AWD in NJ.

Tom
+1

We get pretty harsh winters here in Kansas City, the only time i've had trouble getting around was when we got roughly 2" of ice, followed by 9" of snow. Very hazardous conditions no matter what you're driving. If it's just powder, with pavement underneath my RWD 330i can handle about 8" unplowed on the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Tom
I never felt I needed an AWD ever in NJ if I had all seasons on my car with.

Can we say AWD are more stable and sturdy when compared to RWD?
My wife will drive this BMW as well she does not have great skills driving this BMW.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I never felt I needed an AWD ever in NJ if I had all seasons on my car with.

Can we say AWD are more stable and sturdy when compared to RWD?
My wife will drive this BMW as well she does not have great skills driving this BMW.
Barring any specific reason not to I would say go with the AWD. For the majority of drivers, and it sounds like your wife is one of them, the AWD cars advantages outweigh its negatives.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
What were you missing since it did not have a sports package?

Why do people prefer 330i over 330xi? What advantage RWD have over AWD?
The biggest thing for me is the seats. Sports seats are SOOO much more comfortable, plus they "keep you in place" if you toss the car around a corner during spirited driving.

In addition to that I like the sport steering wheel better, you get the bigger wheels, and since I have an non-xi i get the sports suspension.

As far as RWD over AWD goes, it's just what I like better. My first 3'er was a 1999 328i. I drove that car through 3 New England winters with ZERO problems. I got a nice set of winter tires and that car went everywhere my Jeep used to. I also like the fact that the car is lighter, has less parts to break etc. There's also just something about the feel of the RWD car that I like, especially when accelerating into a turn, there's nothing else like it.

AGAIN, these are just my personal opinions, I'm sure others feel differently.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Dude if you get that 330xi you will be in heaven...trust me I know :)

Always get a used car checked out, but yes it is possible to have mileage that low. I have known BMW owners who only drive their cars on the weekends, and not every weekend. My ex-fiancée' family own a 2004 Z3 and it has about 12k miles on it.

Keep an eye out for things like rust on the brakes/rotors and muffler. Cars that don't get driven often tend to form rust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.