BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Raspooch
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I am new to this forum but your comments over the past month have given me insight and made me want to sign up to be a part of community. Hopefully you can continue to help me solve this problem and others around the world can get help as well. Like you helped me.

Last year DECEMBER 2014 I Bought a 2011 BMW x5 35D. It had about 50,000 Miles on it. Drove perfectly the first year, outside of a check engine light after the first 3 months (engine code P02EE). Light was cleared and didn't come back on for another 6 months. In November of 2015, I was cruising and received The "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power" warning. I got scared and drove straight home. I turned off the car and turned it back on and the light disappeared. The next day I drove it and the light reappeared. Turned off the car, it didn't come back on until I was slowly going up a hill and the car shuddered and turned off: Engine Malfunction " Reduced Power". This time when I tried to start it wouldn't start at all. Engine Kept turning over. I let it sit for 5 minutes and then I drove to my Mechanic. I live in a small island (NO BMW Dealership here, but I love BMW and always wanted to own one)....anyway. Left the car at the mechanic for about 4 days. He didn't have any trouble starting it. Checked a few things, Got some fuel pressure codes. Cleared them and told me I could be on my way. Car Drove fine for 3 days straight.

I left the island to visit NYC for 1 week, came back and as I hit the road, ENGINE Malfunction, Reduced Power). :( It was night time so I drove it home, and the next day went to the mechanic to have them hook it up to the machine to read the codes. While waiting for the mechanic, when he tried to start it, it wouldn't start. AGAIN. He pulled some codes 4890 Rail Pressure Monitoring on Engine Start, 4580 DDE Rail Pressure Plausibility, 4600 DDE Rail pressure plausibility pressure, 4570 DDE Plausibility delivery controlled.

Recommended I buy an In tank fuel delivery module. Mechanic recommended I first buy the fuel filter.

SO, I bought a fuel filter. Engine Malfunction Came Back
They Cleaned out The Fuel Tank and in tank delivery unit. Engine Malfunction Came Back.
Bought The In Tank Delivery Unit Fuel Pump. Engine Malfunction Came Back

Yesterday they installed the in tank unit fuel pump, this morning the car took a while to start and then gave me engine malfunction.

I have been talking to BMW in Miami from the very get go. Not much they can do because the car isn't there.

Today they told me that they are 70% sure that It is is the High Pressure Fuel Pump ($1500 + Labour) or the Fuel Injectors.

Sorry I wrote so much, I just had to give you guys the full back story.

Anyone getting this problem? Engine Malfunction. Reduced Power. Car Wont Start Sometimes?

I miss driving my car. This is so frustrating being out of the X5 for what is now an entire month and as a female Im not too very savvy with these things. Any suggestions?

Should I get the High Pressure Fuel Pump? Fuel Injectors?
Could it be something else?

In order of events

Check engine light related to misfire
Cleared Check engine light
Check engine light 6 months later
Engine Malfunction Reduced Power
Car Giving Hard time to start
Replaced Fuel Filter
Replaced In Delivery Unit Fuel Pump

Not sure what to do next.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,371 Posts
I live on a small island 25 square miles, 700 full time population and no qualified BMW mechanic. If I couldn't get my X5 off the Island and to a qualified BMW mechanic then I could not have one.

Best wishes. I enjoyed my times working from St. Croix, USN daily ops in TOTO from Frederiksted.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi,
Welcome!

When they cleaned the tank and replaced the in tank pump was there any evidence of fuel contamination?
Is diesel quality a problem there?
Does the mechanic have access to BMW service diagnostic tools? I assume so since they got the specific bMW codes and must of been able to bleed the fuel system after replacing the filter.
If poor fuel or contamination is not an issue I rather doubt it is an injector - there would be other running problems.
It could be simply a poor rail pressure sensor connection or the fuel rail quantity control valve.
Perhaps check the rail pressure connector - unplug and plugin a few times and make sure there is no contact corrosion.
Remove the quantity control valve and make sure it is absolutely clean - no signs or metal or debris which could indicate a failing high pressure pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
As ingenieur said, check those sensors.

Before changing injectors, mechanic can run smooth running control test and leak down test on injectors using BMW diagnostic software like ISTA to rule out any injector leaking or loosing pressure and dropping the rail pressure.But i doubt about bad injectors as they are very closely monitored and injectors would have thrown injector codes.

·
Raspooch
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor Quality Diesel

Hi Guys. Thank You for Responding.
The Diesel Quality on the Island is not consistent. Some places are good other locations are poor. I learned this the hard way.
The problem occurred after I came from a different fueling station than my regular one.
They Found Water in the Diesel and in the Tank.

They didn't find any pieces of metal etc. in the Tank.

Should I buy the High Pressure Fuel Pump Today?
The Guy at BMW Miami said that all of my symptoms indicate that.
its $1500 for the part. :cry:

When my mechanic comes to the house today I will ask him to check the rail pressure connection and the fuel rail quantity control valve.

·
Raspooch
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an additional note guys. Please bear in mind the car is giving me a hard time to start. Sometimes so hard a time i just leave it overnight and go back to try another time. Sometimes it will start up right away. Other times it won't start at all.

·
Nuclear engineer
21,371 Posts
Battery?

I'm a one trick pony, "First things first."

·
Nuclear engineer
21,371 Posts
The Battery is working fine. Started yesterday morning. Went back 5 minutes later it wouldn't start.
With respect, that is not an indication of a fine working battery. Hypothetically, the successful start used the surface charge of a marginal battery and left no available capacity for a subsequent start.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Any luck with fixing this? I'm getting almost same issue. Car starts and drives fine, but sometimes its giving me engine malfunction sign and limp mode. Sometimes it drives fine for couple days, then back to Limp mode.

I noticed that when I drive slowly with low RPMs thats when it appears, when I'm pushing a littlebit its fine.

Any advise?

Thanks,

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi,

Any luck with fixing this? I'm getting almost same issue. Car starts and drives fine, but sometimes its giving me engine malfunction sign and limp mode. Sometimes it drives fine for couple days, then back to Limp mode.

I noticed that when I drive slowly with low RPMs thats when it appears, when I'm pushing a littlebit its fine.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Did you see if there are any codes stored?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.