BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I am planning to purchase a 2016 BMW 428i xDrive that has the below Two Packages:

1. M Sport Package
Wheels: 18 x 8 Star-Spoke
M Sport Pkg
Alum Hexagon Trim w/Estoril Blue Matte Highlight
M Steering Wheel
Aerodynamic Kit
Shadowline Exterior Trim
Remove Increased Top Speed Limiter

2. Track Handling Package
Wheels: 18 x 8.0 Fr & 18 x 8.5 Rr
M Sport Brakes
Adaptive M & Rear Axle Air Suspension
Variable Sport Steering
Tires: P225/45R18 Fr & P255/40R18 Rr Mixed Perf
Increased Top Speed Limit

I plan to drive it to work everyday and for weekend sporty adventures in Shenandoah mountains roads (Virginia). So here are my questions:

1. Do I have to give up daily commute ride comfort for sportiness? I really like the look and sportiness but cant drive to work everyday if ride comfort is really really awful. I am ok giving up ride comfort to some extent (e.g. Ride comfort of a Camry or Accord is acceptable).
I do realize this car has adaptive suspension, rather than fixed one, which may help. Wanted to get two cents from owners who have first hand experience.

2. The tires are Mixed performance tires. What does that mean (I realize BMW performance tires mean summer tires but what is mixed performance? Are these all season tires? Are these Run Flat Tires? If not suitable for winter, how much would be the all season tires (for a good brand such as Michelin?

Much appreciated guyz. Thanks

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
1. They're both XDrive so it'll wallow around like a Camry. No worries there. I have adaptive suspension on mine and still went with lowering springs and shockware. Bmw just don***8217;t have good suspension for XDrive f3x cars.

2. Mixed performance are summer tires that are a staggered setup. Usually wider in the rear so you get more understeer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. They're both XDrive so it'll wallow around like a Camry. No worries there. I have adaptive suspension on mine and still went with lowering springs and shockware. Bmw just don't have good suspension for XDrive f3x cars.

2. Mixed performance are summer tires that are a staggered setup. Usually wider in the rear so you get more understeer.
Thanks anotheran. So just to clarify your adaptive suspension came with M package and your ride quality is still good? Have you compared ride quality to aNon M packaged bmw and see how much they differ in similar roads?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks anotheran. So just to clarify your adaptive suspension came with M package and your ride quality is still good? Have you compared ride quality to aNon M packaged bmw and see how much they differ in similar roads?
This depends on what you mean by "good ride quality".. none of us know exactly what you mean by that, except to go with what you said "ride quality of a camry or accord". Most BMW owners would NOT call that "good ride quality btw.

If by "good" you mean "soft and sort of wallowy" then an Xdrive BMW might be closer to what you want for that, and will be better than those cars on twisty roads, but would not be what many BMW drivers would call "good" because the general definition of "good" here is "sporty" and camry is NOT "sporty".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This depends on what you mean by "good ride quality".. none of us know exactly what you mean by that, except to go with what you said "ride quality of a camry or accord". Most BMW owners would NOT call that "good ride quality btw.

If by "good" you mean "soft and sort of wallowy" then an Xdrive BMW might be closer to what you want for that, and will be better than those cars on twisty roads, but would not be what many BMW drivers would call "good" because the general definition of "good" here is "sporty" and camry is NOT "sporty".
Sorry for confusion:

1. Good as in a 3 series ride quality in comfort mode, without any M Package suspension. The reason I mentioned camry is because a) there is a tradeoff between sportiness and comfortness when going to a M Package xDrive model like the one I am considering (compared to a non M Package Xdrive)
b) I am willing to give up certain level of comfortness (in order to have a M Package car that looks very cool and fun to drive) and minimum standard level l am willing to accept would be camry/accord level.

I am hoping the M Package Adaptive suspension wo uld at least give me Camry level ride quality when going over potholes in comfort mode.

Is it a reasonable expectation ?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Sorry for confusion:

1. Good as in a 3 series ride quality in comfort mode, without any M Package suspension. The reason I mentioned camry is because a) there is a tradeoff between sportiness and comfortness when going to a M Package xDrive model like the one I am considering (compared to a non M Package Xdrive)
b) I am willing to give up certain level of comfortness (in order to have a M Package car that looks very cool and fun to drive) and minimum standard level l am willing to accept would be camry/accord level.

I am hoping the M Package Adaptive suspension wo uld at least give me Camry level ride quality when going over potholes in comfort mode.

I dont think so, because I dont think any BMW has "camry levels of ride" (but I think camry's have a terrible ride).

The adaptive suspension option will be a must have for you on the Xdrive car, and in comfort mode it will soak up some bumps... but it wont feel like a camry (but will wallow around a bit). In sport mode it will be stiffer and sporty as long as you get the adaptive suspension.

I believe the answer to your question is, you MUST get the adaptive suspension if you want anything close to what you are describing (sporty and soft, respectively), but the soft is not going to feel like a camry (but it wont feel like a sporty BMW either).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for confusion:

I dont think so, because I dont think any BMW has "camry levels of ride" (but I think camry's have a terrible ride).

The adaptive suspension option will be a must have for you on the Xdrive car, and in comfort mode it will soak up some bumps... but it wont feel like a camry (but will wallow around a bit). In sport mode it will be stiffer and sporty as long as you get the adaptive suspension.

I believe the answer to your question is, you MUST get the adaptive suspension if you want anything close to what you are describing (sporty and soft, respectively), but the soft is not going to feel like a camry (but it wont feel like a sporty BMW either).
Gotcha. Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would go with the 2nd vehicle (track package). Adaptive M suspension will give you the same level of comfort as the non-track package car, but will also let you stiffen things up a bit (although not as much as you might want, but that's why shockware exists).

For me, even with sport mode and shockware the car is plenty comfortable for daily driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would go with the 2nd vehicle (track package). Adaptive M suspension will give you the same level of comfort as the non-track package car, but will also let you stiffen things up a bit (although not as much as you might want, but that's why shockware exists).

For me, even with sport mode and shockware the car is plenty comfortable for daily driving.
Oh really? Good to know that they are still comfortable for daily commute. btw, the car I am considering have both M and Track pakage installed

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
Adaptive suspension is same on both m or non m packages. If u mean compared to base suspension, you***8217;re getting a pre lci and I didn***8217;t test those.

Personally if I were to buy again, id have gone with static suspension and just install coilovers. The xDrive suspensions are very lacking

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi all,
I am planning to purchase a 2016 BMW 428i xDrive that has the below Two Packages:

Adaptive M & Rear Axle Air Suspension
There's an air suspension in the 4-series now, or is this a typo?

Anyway, get the track handling package. The shocks are adjustable and the comfort setting will be just as comfortable as the standard suspension, while being a little less floaty. Then on the weekends you can use sport mode to firm it up. Either way though, the difference is subtle - it won't be like switching between an M3 and a camry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts