Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

2007 218k miles 525i

I had downshift 4th to 3rd problem and stuck. And transmission mulfuncation.

That's why just got replaced mechatronic sleeves, transmission fluid and all solenoids yesterday. All the parts original from fcpeuro

Now all shiftings are very hard. no more transmission mulfuncation or stuck but shifting worse than before the replacement.

Do you think problem goes away? Or mechanic did something wrong?

Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you reset the adaptations on the transmission after the work, and reset the fluid change "clock"?
Appreciated. I did adaptation reset 2 times with gas pedal. I really dont know what is the resetting fluid change.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I could be wrong (often am!) but I think the gas pedal technique only resets limited information relating to the engine, not the transmission.

ISTA / INPA software (and some BMW-specific scanner devices) allows you to tell the transmission control computer that the fluid has been changed. When you do this, it recalculates the pressure and other variables to give you the best shifting / reliability.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Sounds like just enough fluid to function but not to the appropriate level. Did you complete the appropriate fill procedure? That involves more than just one fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciated. BTW, not only while driving, Park to Reserve or Reserve to Drive harder than ever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As habbyguy said, the gas pedal reset really doesn't do anything at all. You need to go to a shop and have the adaptions reset properly, potentially even have the software for the trans updated if it hasn't already. I've recently been down the transmission refresh route and the change in fluid, seals etc will throw off how the computer thinks it all should function. The trans considers the car to still have thick fluid and bad seals, so it's not doing things correctly.

Considering all you've replaced, the adaption reset will fix things. But keep in mind it won't be instant, you'll still have hard shifts for the first week of driving while it learns, so don't panic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As habbyguy said, the gas pedal reset really doesn't do anything at all. You need to go to a shop and have the adaptions reset properly, potentially even have the software for the trans updated if it hasn't already. I've recently been down the transmission refresh route and the change in fluid, seals etc will throw off how the computer thinks it all should function. The trans considers the car to still have thick fluid and bad seals, so it's not doing things correctly.

Considering all you've replaced, the adaption reset will fix things. But keep in mind it won't be instant, you'll still have hard shifts for the first week of driving while it learns, so don't panic.
I greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
As others have said you will need to reset the transmission adaptations with an appropriate scantool, the gas pedal method is a myth. For the record there are no resets in regards to fluid life.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I think you need to confirm transmission fluid level before you do anything else. You can only check it between (from memory) 30-50c operating temp while the engine is running on level ground. That’s the temperature where the second fill should overflow before reinstalling the fill plug. I think it sounds like only one fill was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

I gave him 7 liter ZF ATF. He told me he used all of them. Do you still think I have less oil?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,118 Posts
Worth checking. Open the fill plug only with the engine running. If nothing comes out, you don't have enough in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts