BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have had my 325i for about one year. In the first few months, I notice a sulfurous odor coming fromt he vents (only a handful of times). It usually comes on at no absolute time. Usually mid-way to wherever I am going. It would only last a few seconds and once I opened the windows, its gone. In my state of denial, I thought maybe it was just a new thing and it might go away. Fortunately in the winter, I didn't notice it. Maybe its a summer thing. Now about a year, the odor is getting more frequent. I have smell this before, but only in my 10 year Buick when I was in high school.

Anyone knows what could that be? I am up for my 1 year oil change so I was going to let the dealership now about it.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Have you checked your socks ????

·
Too Beaucoup
335 Posts
I remember hearing that a sulfur/rotten egg smell can come from a faulty catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
nittany said:
So I have had my 325i for about one year. In the first few months, I notice a sulfurous odor coming fromt he vents (only a handful of times). It usually comes on at no absolute time. Usually mid-way to wherever I am going. It would only last a few seconds and once I opened the windows, its gone. In my state of denial, I thought maybe it was just a new thing and it might go away. Fortunately in the winter, I didn't notice it. Maybe its a summer thing. Now about a year, the odor is getting more frequent. I have smell this before, but only in my 10 year Buick when I was in high school.

Anyone knows what could that be? I am up for my 1 year oil change so I was going to let the dealership now about it.
Check your upper lip!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think its a AC problem because it doesn't have that mildew smell. I think it is probably the catalytic converter. It definitely occurs when I accelerate. I will have the dealership check it out when I go in for my oil change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help and the funny comments. Although on this board I got my jokes than advice. I call my dealership and they said that the smell is a common thing. Along with all the software updates, they will clean something on the engine (I will find more once I talk to the SA day of). I offered the possibility of a the catalytic converter, but she said they start with the cleaning and go from there. She said usually that will do the trick. Will give more info when i get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
nittany said:
Thanks for all the help and the funny comments. Although on this board I got my jokes than advice. I call my dealership and they said that the smell is a common thing. Along with all the software updates, they will clean something on the engine (I will find more once I talk to the SA day of). I offered the possibility of a the catalytic converter, but she said they start with the cleaning and go from there. She said usually that will do the trick. Will give more info when i get it.
Had the same odor problem on my 325i but thought that was just a 'german thing'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts