BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had all brakes replaced pads rotors and sensors. After i had "Replace brake pads" warning light on display and warning light on dash. Took it to BMW they said i needed computer upgrade as sensors weren't recognised. Paid $250. Problem still there. Now BMW state veh needs new DSC as no earth to rear sensors. Cost $2500 brakes cost 1500 upgrade was 250. Anyone heard of this problem? Veh is z4 E89 im in Australia. Looking for answers or cheaper part to purchase overseas. Anyone help?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,251 Posts
Wonder what kept the warnings dark until the brakes were worn?

Did the stealership record the condition of the car before they started the work? How else can we owners make them responsible and liable for consequent damages to the ordered work.

"Day-um boss, I need more money and this sucker will never know the difference."

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Every BMW I've worked on (mind you nothing newer than 2005) uses a wear strip to activate the "brakes worn" circuit. The logic is looking for an open circuit. It's not rocket science.

Disconnect each wear sensor on the brake side (Typically only one only for front (L/H side) and rear (R/H)) and check for open circuit through sensor. Jumper (basically complete the circuit) on the chassis side of the circuit to test the rest of the wiring integrity.

Computer upgrade :confused: ..... sounds like B.S. DSC and brake wear are two separate circuits. Sound like the shop you went to are a bunch of idiots. No earth to rear sensors.?!? Yeah, highly likely someone butchered some wiring doing the brake job.

·
Retired Fed
694 Posts
Ask to speak to the service manager to get this problem fixed at their cost. If he refuses, contact a lawyer and have him call him. This would probably solve your problem instead of getting taken to the cleaners.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I had the same warning occur in my 2011 535xi GT. My dealer investigated, found a defective brake pad thickness sensor and replaced the $30 part for free......I would look long and hard at the sensor and agree with other responders who do not believe that the computer needs an update (especially just after a brake job) or a new DSC. Truly BS.....Try and get a second opinion elsewhere form another BMW dealer or an independent garage that repairs BMWs and has a good reputation. Good luck. Let us know how you fare in the end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brake pad sensor and DSC are part of the the circuit. Fairly simple where 2 signal wires, one from each brake sensor and 2 ground wires that meet and combine to one wire, all of these go to the DSC. There should be very low resistance in this circuit to tell the DSC that the sensors are intact but not worn through. If the DSC still thinks the sensors are worn even if the resistance is very low in the circuit the DSC needs replacing and programming as well
I'd imagine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts