BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on how to open the front passenger door. I was doing the regulator repair in my front passenger door and since I had the door panel off tried to do the winter bowden cable repair to keep the door from freezing. Now I shut the door and can neither open it with the handle from the outside nor with the handle from the inside. Any ideas how to get this door open? Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
You will probably have to open up the door panel again, which will probably be difficult now that the door is shut and cannot be opened. Perhaps you can give youself some more room by taking out the passenger seat..? I really don't know of any other way of getting this door off, other than using something to insert into the door to try and grab the cable..

Good luck...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
very weird

As I found in many other posts on this topic... I came back a while later and magicly the out door handle had healed itself. At least I was able to get back in. After taking the door apart and the lock assembly found absolutely nothing! Everything is as it should be inside. Has anyone seen that 1 part of the door actuator starts failing first?

I think the only thing I can do is change the actuator? Any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dumb ass...the right way to put the inner door release back on!

So I feel totally foolish...word to the wise...

If you have spent a bunch of time on something put it down and come back fresh the next day...

Although I took the door apart again yesterday and reexamined everything...it was not right, although I had convinced myself that it was right. Today I figured I would take it apart again and check 1 more time before I went and ordered a new actuator...

I took everything off and out...

Actuator, bowden cable, door release cable...I then carefully examined and put everything back slowly...

Turns out I had slipped the end of the door release cable casing into the incorrect groove on the actuator. What happened was that since the cable housing was not fully tensioned it was not applying enough force to the release on the actuator...A clue to this which kept bothering me is that there should be no slack whatsoever in the door handle when everything is properly reconnected!

So when you take the door release cable out and are reconnecting it note that the end which connects to the actuator will take some effort. First attach the end of the cable into the actuator then you will have to tension the cable housing to get it into the retainer. Make sure it is in the right groove. When you slip the cable housing into the retainer there is a little clip which will lock the housing in place.

So all is well that ends well...the window regulator is repaired thanks to the awesome zip tie repair! Awesome DitY very ingenious and very correct the BMW regulator is cheap crap! Also did the winter freezing door cable mod. Will have to see how it works for me this winter!!! Will advise.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Window cable replacement

where do I connect the top cable?? It came loose and now I have no idea how to put it back together... do I have take the whole mechanism apart??

Help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbiw in Bimmer world

I've always dreamded of having BMW especialy SUV X5 but would never think it would happen so soon , so my dream came true now I have 2001 BMW X5 4.4i sportpackage black really cute. I totaly love it enjoy every minute in it but I'm in damned Alaska as you know it's freezing here and I don't have garage, yeah I know it hurts to park it outside in that freakin snow , but the bad thing about it is that my front doors froze, driver is totaly frozen wont open at all, passanger will open after couple hours driving, sometimes passanger rear door will freeze only door is always open is driver rear door, that is the only way to my car, so as I see you guys know lot about , any advice that doesn't involve taking it to BMW service, coz they are rippin people of here in alaska, anchorage . well I was told to park one night in heated garage and it will open up but I don't have anybody that will leave there car outside in this freezin and let me park mine so , is there any solution to this problem please help me, by the way I'try to post some pics of my cute lil one :p

Bimmer-5.jpg

Free file hosting from File Den!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.