BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

help- bumper removal

1316 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  BMcCoupe
I need to pull the front and rear bumpers off today.

Installing some Hamann aero pieces.

An guidance or things to look out for would be helpful.

I tend to break things off the first time around.... :tsk:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I've yet to pull the front bumper, but the rear is easy.

You'll find those instructions a few posts down in this thread.

I'll have to pull a front bumper (I presume) pretty soon, as I'm tentatively doing a Dinan SC to AA turbo swap for a Coupe owner. If there's an intercooler included in the package, it'll go behind the front bumper. So let us know how to do it (or what not to do ;) )
ShifterKart Guy said:
I need to pull the front and rear bumpers off today.

Installing some Hamann aero pieces.

An guidance or things to look out for would be helpful.

I tend to break things off the first time around.... :tsk:
The bently manual spells it out nicely. Make sure you buy some of the push pins from BMW becausee they tend to get broken during the removal, they are really cheap in price.

JMC
That's what I expect

jmc said:
they tend to get broken during the removal,
I manage to always brake something before the job is done.

I spoke to a BMW Tech today. He said the trick is to pull put the center push pin before I try to remove the clip. Seems logical.

You never realise how much dog hair and dust thier is in the air until you are painting a body panel under brite lightsin the garage....I should spray my dog Titan Silver...then it won't matter. :p

Randy- what was the issue with Dinan SC for your customer? I have strongly considered the AA Turbo...big power but big bucks. I am pretty sure it has a below the bumber intercooler.
My method (described in a post from the link) was for removing the bumper and aluminum frame as one. Much easier than separating the two (as was the method your BMW tech decribed concerning the plastic rivets).

Nothing wrong with the Dinan SC, just wants more hp than it provides ;)
ShifterKart Guy said:
I manage to always brake something before the job is done.

I spoke to a BMW Tech today. He said the trick is to pull put the center push pin before I try to remove the clip. Seems logical.

You never realise how much dog hair and dust thier is in the air until you are painting a body panel under brite lightsin the garage....I should spray my dog Titan Silver...then it won't matter. :p

Randy- what was the issue with Dinan SC for your customer? I have strongly considered the AA Turbo...big power but big bucks. I am pretty sure it has a below the bumber intercooler.
Same process for the front?

Seem'd a little more complicated that it reads?

Randy Forbes said:
I've yet to pull the front bumper, but the rear is easy.

You'll find those instructions a few posts down in this thread.

I'll have to pull a front bumper (I presume) pretty soon, as I'm tentatively doing a Dinan SC to AA turbo swap for a Coupe owner. If there's an intercooler included in the package, it'll go behind the front bumper. So let us know how to do it (or what not to do ;) )
Questions:
-Where exactly are these torx-head bolts? Under the car? Middle?
-If i am needing to replace only the plastic tabs/clips, do i need to remove the bumper, or can i just remove the fender liner and replace? I just noticed that the left side has no clips at all!

If you can, please show us on this pic? https://home.comcast.net/~khammack2/108-0815_IMG.JPG
You might be able to just replace the clips...
BMcCoupe said:
Questions:
-Where exactly are these torx-head bolts? Under the car? Middle?
-If i am needing to replace only the plastic tabs/clips, do i need to remove the bumper, or can i just remove the fender liner and replace? I just noticed that the left side has no clips at all!

If you can, please show us on this pic? https://home.comcast.net/~khammack2/108-0815_IMG.JPG

Attachments

Thanks a lot Randy! That helps a lot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.