BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm probably showing my amateur-ness but I'm trying to learn to do my own (basic) car repairs. I own a 1990 325i E30. Lately I've noted my power steering fluid dripping / flowing from my rack leaving my fluid reservoir fairly dry (I'm refilling it once or twice a day) and have yet to get a new one. In the meantime, I want to disconnect my power steering pump so I don't burn it up while driving to/from work.

I've located the adjustment bolt for the belt tensioner but can't seem to get it to loosen up the belt. Like I said, it's likely pretty amateur but can anyone steer me in the correct direction? Am I turning it the wrong direction? Is there another bolt somewhere I need to loosen first? Is there something wrong with my tensioner apparatus?

I'm almost to the point of cutting the belt off but figured I should at least attempt to do it the "right" way...

·
Registered
344 Posts
You have to loosen the bracket where the pump bolts to the motor. There are two 13mm bolts.

·
E30's,Work,Eat,Sleep
159 Posts
There is also another threaded rod that is under the cam casing then the case under that that guards the belt. I replaced my belt and water pump this weekend and that did trick for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts