BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

i'm in my garage trying to get my rear brake rotor off. I removed the retaining screw and hit the rotor with a hammer... so far so good. The rotor is now loose and is able to rotate freely from the hub. However, something appears to be holding the rotor on so that I can't pull it off. Did I miss a step? are the parking brake shoes inside still gripping onto something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Sam.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
They could be, is your eBrake on? It may seem like a dumb question, but you'd be surprised.

You may need to mess with the eBrake cable to release the pressure on those pads. I'm sure it's in the DIY/Wiki, not familiar with the process personally. I didn't have to do anything more than remove the retaining screw to remove my rear rotors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me... Nope, the ebrake isn't on. I tried engaging and disengaging it and it doesn't seem to help. I did the same on the other side and its the same thing! wiggles loose but doesn't want to come off. I don't know what's going on. It feels like there's some mechanism holding on to it.

Any other ideas?

sam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... watched that video, but he only talks about replacing the pads... not the rotors. could it be that the shoes are seized to the rotor?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
Yeah... watched that video, but he only talks about replacing the pads... not the rotors. could it be that the shoes are seized to the rotor?
How long has it been since the car was driven ?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
They can rust/bind to the hub - at least the fronts on mine were and I literally had to give it a decent whack or three with a sledgehammer from the backside of the rotor. Of course, once you do this, the rotor may become undriveable and you'd need a tow if you can't finish the job. Not sure if there's advice against this on the rears but if it is rusted on I'm not sure what else you can do. Liquid wrench didn't seem to help.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Yep, rust will happen around the hub center (where wheel center rests) and even a little bit will prevent the rotor from coming off. Use a wire brush on a power drill to clean that up before and after you get it off.

I use a rubber mallet on mine to hammer it free. Hit it hard fewer times and it should break free. I apply pressure with one hand, hit it hard 180* from that location with the hammer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally figured it out!

Although the ebrake was completely released, the tension nuts were adjusted too tight such that the shoes were still applying pressure to the rotor. Also, my rotors are pretty worn down so that there was a ridge that the shoes were catching on.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Finally figured it out!

Although the ebrake was completely released, the tension nuts were adjusted too tight such that the shoes were still applying pressure to the rotor. Also, my rotors are pretty worn down so that there was a ridge that the shoes were catching on.

Thanks for the help guys!
looks like my post didnt go through but you figured it out yourself..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts