BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago i posted about my 42K mile 2001 530i having a shake at higher speeds. I toke it in to my BMW dealership and I had them check my control arms thinking that's what it is. The tech said my control arms are fine. Tech said that the reason my car shakes is because it needs new tires. I had new tires installed and balanced of course. I still feel the same shake in my car and steering wheel. what should i do now?

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Make sure you take the tech with you and then go for a ride, once the tech feels the car he will help push the work. I'm assuming this car is CPO?

Alex

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think just about every E39 has problems with vibration and shaking once you start racking up the miles.

I replaced several parts one by one but still couldn't determine the exact cause. These parts included the control arms & links, cv boots and joints, sway bars and links, especially the tie rods. If the tie rods have any play, that will cause your problem as well. If all else fails, get them to do a road force balancing...where the tires are balanced while still on your car.

Be sure to tell the stealer the problem is still there, and if they keep replacing parts without solving the problem then you have no intention of paying for them...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well my car is a 2001 BMW 530i with about 71K and yes it shakes, not a lot but the steering wheel does shake. I took it to the tire place and they balanced it and aligned it and they tell me that the tires are no good (that no matter how much they balance them they won't balance all the way perfect). They argument that the tires are cheap (Pirellis P7000s). So I will wear these tires out and then get new better tires and try...

·
Fas kine Touring, Brah!
259 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
It could be either your tires are bad , low in air pressures, or you have a bent wheel and you dont know it. I replaced mine with new wheels and new tires and now i dont have that problem.
you could try to retate the wheels and see if that can help. good luck

·
Registered
348 Posts
BimmerGuyFL said:
A few days ago i posted about my 42K mile 2001 530i having a shake at higher speeds. I toke it in to my BMW dealership and I had them check my control arms thinking that's what it is. The tech said my control arms are fine. Tech said that the reason my car shakes is because it needs new tires. I had new tires installed and balanced of course. I still feel the same shake in my car and steering wheel. what should i do now?
I had/have the exact same issue. Begged the dealer to look at the control arms and bushings and they, no surprise here, told me the suspension is fine on myu car but what I needed were new tires and an alignment. So, had the new tires installed, balanced, and a full alignment. Seemed to fix the problem...for a while, the the ever-so-slight vibration in the wheeel came back at 60+ mph. I'm convinced its the control arms as I swear I can almost feel the tires bouncing. 3 months and 10k miles left on my maintenance and new car warranty - guess who is going to be seeing a lot of me very, very soon ;) !

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I toke my car back today to goodyear where i got my new Michalen tires and i told them to check everything with a road force balance etc etc etc. wlel they rebalanced all 4 wheels and it drives smooth as silk now :) no shaking or shimmy I am a happy Owner :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts