BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car won't start after registering new battery using Tool32. Then tried to reset the ECU using NCSExpert, via Expert Mode, as it starts to code, after the 2nd or 3rd module, I get the following errors.

Translating to english, the error reads: IFH-0009:SG is not connected or is not reporting ULF2_HI

Could not find the CABI.ERR file, and ERROR.LOG file in NCSExpert\Bin does not contain anything.

Pulled the following error codes.

=== 03.11.2017 === 15:12:24
DME partnumber: VAR_ECU_SERIAL_ECU

current kilometer reading: 160334 km

comment line 1: error codes
comment line 2:

(English translations)

$error locationNr: 10932
$error location text: 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error: 1(5) No.: 10932 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error type: 1 (4190 ) RAM review
read: Ines Flag (16 ) test conditions have been met
error status: (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
MIL - Status: (49) error would cause the illumination of the warning light (MIL)
class : 56; frequency: 1; entry at km: (1.): 159784 km (2.): 0 km (n.): 0 km

$error locationNr: 12105
$error location text: 0x2F49 EWS manipulation protection
error: 2(5) No.: 12105 0x2F49 EWS manipulation protection
error type: 8 (4339 ) expected response implausible
read ines flag: (16 ) test conditions have been met
MIL - Status: (48) Error did not cause illumination of the warning light (MIL)
class : 11; frequency: 1; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 0 km (n.): 0 km

$error locationNr: 12234
$error location text: 0x2FCA fuel high pressure upon release of the injection
error: 3(5) No.: 12234 0x2FCA fuel high pressure upon release of the injection
error type: 1 (4763 ) pressure too low
class: 01; frequency: 10; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 159816 km (n.): 160304 km

$error locationNr: 12250
$error location text: 0x2FDA high fuel pressure at or after the release of the injection (2. Environmental condition after time delay)
Error: 4(5) No.: 12250 0x2FDA high fuel pressure at or after the release of the injection (2. Environmental condition after time delay)
: error status (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
class: 01; frequency: 10; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 159816 km (n.): 160304 km

$error locationNr: 12251
$error location text: 0x2FDB fuel high pressure after the release of the injection
error: 5(5) No.: 12251 0x2FDB fuel high pressure after the release of the injection
: error status (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
class: 01; frequency: 6; entry at km: (1.): 159912 km (2.): 159968 km (n.): 160296 km

Another view of the first error code:

$error locationNr: 10932
$error location text: 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
5705 2AB4 8104 16A3 0102 4E0 5000 00000 500000 000000 000000 000000
error: 1(2) No.: 10932 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error type: Frequency: 1 1 (4190 ) RAM review
read: Ines Flag (16 ) test conditions have been met
MIL - Status: (49) error would cause the illumination of the warning light (MIL)
P-Code: P16A3 Controller - internal 'Non-Volatile Memory' (NVMY) error F_LZ: 2
ambient text / entry at 159784 km(1.)
Engine rpm speed 0.00
temperature control inside the unit -48.00 °C
status Engine Control Eng_LOCK
supply terminal 87 0.00 V

Feel like I really messed up, hoping someone can help and get my car started.

Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't have an answer for you, but that really looks nasty.

I used ISTA/P to do my battery registration and had no issues.

·
RLTW
570 Posts
You triggered the EWS manipulation protection circuit. Looks like you need to synchronize the CAS and EWS modules with INPA. Research it before you mess anything else up. Default coding the modules will get you nowhere.

Sent from my SM-T530NN using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Can't comprehend all of those errors, however not coding the vehicle after replacing the battery will not cause the vehicle to start alone. You probably screwed something up on your own. In the future use Carly (Opinion)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The EWS manipulation error was logged at 159784km, i've driven the car after this, it was only after running the battery registration program using Tool32, 160334km, car would not crank.

But I am researching to see if there is a way to sync CAS and EWS, some folks say EWS4 does not allow syncing, INPA does not allow the option, trying to see if there is another method.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Try disconnecting the IBS cable and see if it starts. You might have damaged it upon battery replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several cables that connect to the IBS module, which cable are you referring to? the B+ Connection cable? small black cable with blue connection clip?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
There are several cables that connect to the IBS module, which cable are you referring to? the B+ Connection cable? small black cable with blue connection clip?
There is only 1 cable connecting to the IBS sensor. It's the sensor on the negative terminal.

Sounds like you are confusing the fused distribution panel on top of the battery for the IBS sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, thought the distribution panel had everything inside, including the IBS, thanks for the clarification!

Disconnected the IBS, on the negative terminal, still no start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same issues as you are. My e90 328xi wont start after battery went flat while at shop now after changing battery car will not start and steering wheel is locked. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues as you are. My e90 328xi wont start after battery went flat while at shop now after changing battery car will not start and steering wheel is locked. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
After changing battery. You have to clear code and reset system. If you don't , the car will over charge battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
After changing battery. You have to clear code and reset system. If you don't , the car will over charge battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
This won't prevent the motor from turning over.

Check and make sure the VVT motor has power. It grabs power directly from the distribution panel on the battery and there are non-replaceable fuses in there (non-replaceable meaning you need to replace the entire fuse panel). If the VVT motor fuse is blown, you will have no eccentric shaft movement and timing will be off.

You can also check the VVT motor for operation by switching ignition and listening for the motor to cycle during it's start-up self-test.

Or you can scan the DME to see if there is anything related to the VVT motor power supply or timing faults.

EDIT: Well I forgot the OP already pulled faults. But I would still check it's operation for both cars

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Feedback from another forum, my coding attempt, detailed my steps, likely not the cause. Seems this is an electrical/starter issue.

I tried ground to engine using jumper cables, still no crank, .

Another suggestion was to apply +12 on the starter solenoid, but I won't be able to get to the starter, this is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure there is still a battery drain issue, maybe the low voltage state caused additional issues? using charger now to keep battery charged.

I installed ISTA, here are the codes its showing.

Aside from the FRM: ALC system faulty, all of the others were logged at 160,328km, must have happened while I was driving, the current km reading 160,334km. Could the last 2 be causing the no start?

Not familiar with the VVT motor, but putting key in ignition, pressing start without clutch, does make a few mechanical sounds, guessing this is the fuel being primed. With the clutch, I did hear a click, could this be the starter solenoid trying to power the starter?

Will have it towed to the dealer, i'm guessing its the starter.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
It doesnt turn over at all i got a padkock on my dash
Ohh lol that's the steering lock error. That's completely unrelated to the OPs issue

A weak battery can cause this. Basically it prevents the lock from generating enough to release. You can try wiggling the steering wheel while you switch ignition, preferably after charging the battery.

If none of that works, you will need to reset the error with Tool32. It's a BMW factory program that you can find online for free. You need a DCAN cable to connect to the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some feedback on my coding attempt after detailing my steps, told its fine, likely not the cause. Seems this is an electrical/starter issue.

I tried ground to engine using jumper cables, still no crank, .

Another suggestion was to apply +12 on the starter solenoid, but I won't be able to get to the starter, this is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure there is still a battery drain issue, maybe the low voltage state caused additional issues? using charger now to keep battery charged.

Here are the codes shown on ISTA.

Aside from the FRM: ALC system faulty, all of the others were logged at 160,328km, must have happened while I was driving, the current km reading 160,334km. Could the last 2 be causing the no start?

Not familiar with the VVT motor, but putting key in ignition, pressing start without clutch, does make a few mechanical sounds, guessing this is the fuel being primed. With the clutch, I did hear a click, could this be the starter solenoid trying to power the starter?

Will have it towed to the dealer, i'm guessing its the starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Car was at the dealership for a couple of days for diagnosis.

From the first day, service manager calls to inform me the car fires right up, no starting issues, but they wanted to keep it for a couple of days to make sure and to also test the starter and try a cold start in the morning.

Again no issue, so go to pick up my car yesterday.

Tried to start, no go, thinking to myself, i'm doing something wrong.

So I pushed in the brake as well as the clutch, and boom fires right up.

I've had the car for over 4 years, never once had to push the brake pedal to start, just the clutch.

This all started after battery registration, with the codes shown in the ISTA screenshot above. Now I get a AWD code, ISTA states "AWD limp-home control activated, no DSC specified nominal torque."

I'm guessing this relates to the CAS: Input selector-lever position, implausible.

My current CC-IDs: 24, 351, and 354.

Current issues: car does not start unless I press the brake pedal, and AWD is not working.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
There is a line in the CAS module for having either pedal depressed for engine start. Disable the one for the brake.

Seems like the coding is the issue....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts