BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a bmw e34 520 not sure its if a 520i.

i started it up yesterday and took it up and down my drive way about 5 times. today i go to the car and i pulled it out the garage into the drive, i opened the gate and went back to the car. IT WOULDNT START. the damn thing wouldnt start. I thought it could be petrol so i topped it up and now theres half a tank. It still wouldnt start. I turn the key and it just keeps cranking. Its like there is a immoibliser there which there isnt.

i am totaly lost in what to do now, ive read a few posts and i think i have engine flood. can some one please help help help me :) thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
could be the EWS if it is not reconizing the keys chip...

or, no fuel, no spark,

try this, crank the motor for about ten seconds, pop the hood and take the cover off
of the top of the engine, on your fuel rail, look for a shrader (tire) valve, find something
to poke into it and see if any fuel leaks out,

no fuel? on the left hand side of your enigne compartment look for a black box of sorts
wich is your fuse box, open it up, look at the guide for your fuel pump fuse and check it
if its blown, replaced it then ride out.

got fuel still no start, you need to check spark, pop off one of the covers over the coils
on the first coil remove the two 10mm bolts, pull out the coil, you want it plugged in still
find a piece of copper wire, strip both sides and wrap one end around the metal of
the spark plug and ground the other side. you just want the coil still plugged in and the
spark plug in the coil and the wire grounding it..... crank the motor, do you have spark?

try removing the DME and slapping it a couple times then plug it back in.

good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the old type bmws and it doesnt have the key code thing like the new bmws have so it deffinatly isnt that issue. il try the spark plugs later and that fuel pipe line test aswell, just need to get my tools back. they seemed to go missing everytime i have a problem. thanks for the advice il keep you posted with the news what happens to the damn thing.

Ah heres a little picture of the car, i know it doesnt look bling but its a car

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get your car started?

I was at a mall two weeks ago. I came out and my 525 would not start. The tank was full. The engine cranked. Good battery. I had it towed home. Turned out, it was a bad fuel pump. It was expensive. The minute the pump was installed, the car started right up. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ah i see...hmm where is the pump located ? because im having difficulty finding it and finding ways to test it. when i turn the ignition so all the lights on i hear a humming/buzzing found from the engine near the aultinator ? not sure if this normal. I also see two connectors not connected to anything or anywhere to connect them to near the aultinator...you say the new fuel pump is expensive ? can u please give me a rough idea of the prices. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
hmm i located the fuel pump many thanks to "http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/FuelPump.htm" as it showed my exactly where it was.. i unplugged the pipe from the pump and cranked the engine..it was chucking out plenty of fuel and that was for sure. im thinking that this means the pump is fine

i cant seem to open the spark plugs ? i have a special spark plug addon tool for the wrentch and a extension bar but i get no luck when trying to open them from the engine. is there a special size for bmw 1's ? if so let me know..also as mentioned above with attaching the cooper wire to the spark plug ? do i have to take the plug out for this ? or i can do it from the contacts ? please give me a bit more details plan on what i have to do ...because this is my first car and my first major problem :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Yes, thanks guys for this !! it was the spark plugs, i replaced them for £11.63 + vat and it now starts...i love u guys :> (not in that way)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys - I have similar problem '89 2.0i everything fine one minute but yesterday wouldnt start. engine cranking ok and charged battery to double check.
checked fuse link by battery- ok
removed plug- no sign of petrol or spark when i tried
read about crank sensor? where is this located if it is a possible? ( i can see a sensor on the crank pulley just behind rad??)
Anyother possibilities its as if there is an imobiliser of some kind- there isnt btw
Your help would really be appreciated.
BTW for any american buddies the 2.0i is a small straight 6 engine
thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sparking up the wrong tree me thinks

Interesting that so many folks with 5 series same era have same kind of no start problems. BMW Workshop manager told me it was a flooding issue with these fule systems which I think was installed across the range.

If the car is run from cold for only a short periode of time when you stop the engine the fule pump continues to run on for a while. The presure builds up and fule leaks past the injectors into the cylinders. If the engine is warm enough it evaporates. if not it condenses over the spark plugs and when next you try to start it it is flooded and turning the starter just pumps more fule in and makes maters worst.

Simple remedy is lift the hood and in the fuse box you'll fine a fuse for fule pump which should be removed.

Then Turu the engine on the starter with your foot to the floor for about a minute just to pump lots of air through to dry things out.

Replace the fuse and start the engine.

If it still won't fire the more drastic remedy is needed which is to remove all the spark plugs and dry them in cool oven (about 50 deg C) and turn the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed.

Replace the plugs while still warm and the fuse and it will start. 99% of the time. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for that usefule tip- but im afraid no fuel in there- checked fuel pump fuse its ok- going to check if fuel pump itself getting any power tomorrow morning- but any more help greatfully recieved

·
Registered
15 Posts
Morning/Evening guys...I see this is a Very old thread...but I'm having the same problems as these guys, I've got the M50 engine. I turned it on and off again in a short amount of time. Only thing is, is that I did try to start with my foot down a few times...which may have flooded the engine more...Would the 'Remove fuel pump fuse and dry spark plugs in 50c Oven' method still work? :dunno:

I need to fix this asap, it broke down on saturday night at work, had to get it home on the back of a recovery truck, and I dont wanna take the train to work like I did yesterday, it's a bloody joke! :tsk:

Thank for your help in advance, though seeing as I stumbled on this forum, I may be here a while...! I've just defected to BMW from Mercedes...I hope owning a BMW will be a more positive experience than my previous E-Class.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll check it tomorrow...I'm going to try the spark plug trick with the copper wire. Had to use the train to get to work again...argh!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Back again, haha.

There was a small spurt of fuel in the fuel feed in the engine, and there's a spark at each plug. My freind Salém came around tonight to help me find the fault. We checked all spark plugs individually, all were fine, but there was no fuel going into the engine.

We then checked the boot/truck, and lifted the spare wheel cover, and we found the fuel pump. We checked the electrical connection by disconnecting the plug, it was fine because when the wire plug was removed, the fuel gauge showed nothing but the orange fuel light, yet with the wire plugged in, it showed my fuel amount, 1/4 tank. We removed the return pipe and sender pipe, and cranked the car over...and nothing. No fuel was being pumped out into the sender pipe feed at all.

Sounds like a fuel pump gone bust doesn't it? :p

Gonna track one down tomorrow, a recon one or second hand one. Night all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts